+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Divided pan question

Default Divided pan question

this fall i bought a Mason 2x4 arch with no pan, i found what i thought was a good deal on a Vermont Evaporator company divided 2x4 pan, when the pan showed up i saw the dividers were spot welded , well using it this season i could not get a gradient going for nothing, i know it takes quite a bit of boiling to get it started but i probably boiled down 250-300 gallons and had nothing...so this leads me to my question, if i found someone who can weld the dividers solid for me, is there anything special they need to know about welding a syrup pan ??

after using it this season and getting sugar under the divider, you will have a hard time getting it clean enough to "fix" the problem. My suggestion is to continue using it, in time sugar will seal so the leaks either go away or at least subside significantly.
    Are you sure it is spot welded and not soldered? If soldered, it can be removed and cleaned 100% then either welded or even lead free soldered back in.
    The other option, sell it and buy a different pan.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

i have mason 2x4xl pan that is for sale
    2018 25 taps, two turkey fryers, 4 gallons
    2019 75 taps, Mason 2'x4, XL, 10'x12' shack
    2020 150 Taps Mason 2x4XL RO15 Bucket. no sugar%
    2021 250ish Taps Mason 2x4 XL RO 20 bucket , going to be busy, 40 gallons made
    2022 400ish taps 2x4 Smokey Lake Drop Flue single post 4x40 RO

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vZj2hHkXpKSBJqJFA

https://www.facebook.com/kelseybrook...FIVmIotuulHl4W

There must be something else going on.The spot welded dividers will not stop you from
    getting a gradient,I have used them, a gradient is established quickly and they work as good as
    welded partitions.
    Make sure your infeed is in the correct place, you are running no more than 1 1/2" depth and have
    a good strong rolling boil. Nice "bubbling" is not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ir3333 View Post
    There must be something else going on.The spot welded dividers will not stop you from
    getting a gradient,I have used them, a gradient is established quickly and they work as good as
    welded partitions.
    Make sure your infeed is in the correct place, you are running no more than 1 1/2" depth and have
    a good strong rolling boil. Nice "bubbling" is not enough.
    my infeed is in the back right corner and the drawoff is the left front corner, i was running between 1 1/2 and 2 inches, ran nearly 250 gallons thru it one boil and got nothing even close to a gradient, , only thing maybe my fire wasnt kept hot enough, i was burning pine, firing every 8 minutes

leave your draw off valve dripping, just feed it back in
    2018 25 taps, two turkey fryers, 4 gallons
    2019 75 taps, Mason 2'x4, XL, 10'x12' shack
    2020 150 Taps Mason 2x4XL RO15 Bucket. no sugar%
    2021 250ish Taps Mason 2x4 XL RO 20 bucket , going to be busy, 40 gallons made
    2022 400ish taps 2x4 Smokey Lake Drop Flue single post 4x40 RO

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vZj2hHkXpKSBJqJFA

https://www.facebook.com/kelseybrook...FIVmIotuulHl4W

Quote Originally Posted by tombaisley View Post
    leave your draw off valve dripping, just feed it back in
    Which channel do I put it back in ??
    Sorry for the dumb questions , first year with a divided pan

Couple things come to mind.
    The 2x4 pan is not very big to get a gradient going.
    Maybe if the seams were solid it would be better, I would agree with that statement. I believe without them solid, (welded or soldered) you will get syrup mix through entire pan. Will they be easy to weld or solder now after making syrup? No sinse as mentioned its hard to get the sugar out of the joint.
    Anyway you should be able to make a pan full of syrup. One big batch. Heck I have large batches on my old 3x10 on each startup.
    What was/is your sugar content? Low sugar content could lead to a lot of sap to sweeten the pans too.
    Keep boiling.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Running 2" deep, there is a lot of mixing going on. If you are fluctuating between 1 1/2 and 2 inches - there is even more mixing going on. Do you have a float box, or are you adding sap manually or at a constant trickle?
    If you are running that deep - the amount of sap that is "mixing" under the spot welded dividers is going to be trivial compared to the amount of back and forth mixing going on through the openings.

How many sections in the pan? The more there are, the easier it is to get a gradient in place. If the plan only has 2 or 3 sections - it is difficult to get much of a gradient.

Try running at 1" - much easier to develop a gradient - although a lot more stressful and NO tolerance for distractions.
    Big_Eddy
    Eastern Ontario (Quinte)
    20+ years on a 2x3 block arch,
    Homemade 20"x64" drop flue since 2011

Build a Block Arch
    Build a Flat Pan
    Build a Flue Pan
    Sweetening the Pans
    Build a Bending Brake
    Using a Hydrotherm
    How much Sap to Sweeten?

Just reading this thread for the first time. When ordering my pan, the builder made it with four channels. I had seen a lot of three channel pans and asked about that, but he convinced me four was best. I am glad I listened to him.

Interesting about the float box levels. This will be my first time with a divided pan and a float box. I was going to set it at 2”, which likely is good to start. Good to know an 1.5” level eventually might be ideal.

One new question, do most people finish the syrup in the pan, or pull it off a hair sooner than syrup and finish it later?

Thanks

Gary
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    930 gallons boiled, 109 L (28.8 gals) of delicious syrup made.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.
    2024 - made 48 L, December to March, primarily over two fire bowls.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast