+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running electric long distances

Default Running electric long distances

Has anyone ran underground electric 3,000 or so feet to there sugar house? I need 200 amps probably going with 480 volts. Just would like to know if is worth doing or building a new sugar house at the road. Price is the deciding factor I guess.
    2019:250 gallons
    2020:324 gallons
    2021:?

I transfer power using 4/0 wire and 480 volts with transformers. Shortest distance is 2200 feet and longest is 7500 ft. My main breaker is only 150 amps because I don't have high amperage demands on the system. I don't think a 200 amp will be a problem for you at that distance. At 7500 ft, I have a voltage drop to 219 (leaves main line at 239).

Much smaller wire than you need but I got 1700’ of 10-2 to run to my releaser last summer from here. https://www.nassaunationalcable.com/ Best price I could find. Free shipping on most orders. And most others would not do over 1000’ lengths.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Quote Originally Posted by Thompson's Tree Farm View Post
    I transfer power using 4/0 wire and 480 volts with transformers. Shortest distance is 2200 feet and longest is 7500 ft. My main breaker is only 150 amps because I don't have high amperage demands on the system. I don't think a 200 amp will be a problem for you at that distance. At 7500 ft, I have a voltage drop to 219 (leaves main line at 239).
    Is that copper or aluminum wire you used? And did you encase it in sand?

I used aluminum wire, Only portions are buried and that is direct buried. Some places it is strung on trees (hard to dig in solid rock).
    3 years and no problems.

I can't help, my voltage drop calculator says even copper is not available in large enough gauge to do it in just 2 conductors.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

We ran two three conductor (L1, L2, and N) 4/0 aluminum direct burial wires 1,000 feet to the sugar house. Connected together at each end in a big junction box. We have a volt meter mounted on the wall near the panel to watch voltage drop. The two sets of wires side by side carry twice as much power as one set. We looked into using transformers but for the distance and the load we have this was less expensive.
    http://www.northfamilyfarm.com

Tim
    2,500 taps on two pipelines
    Busch Vacuum Pump
    MES Three Phase Three Post RO
    2X10 Leader Vortex Max Flue pan, Enhanced Steamaway
    Electricity made with wind and solar

For that distance I think 2 transformers will be less costly, you'll need to check, but 2 sets of conductors won't likely get you there without a transformer. A step up, then a step down. I suspect at least one will need to be variable to end up with what you want.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    For that distance I think 2 transformers will be less costly, you'll need to check, but 2 sets of conductors won't likely get you there without a transformer. A step up, then a step down. I suspect at least one will need to be variable to end up with what you want.
    So one transformer in the beginning to step up the voltage then one at the sugar house to step down? Maybe 1/0-1/0,1/0 aluminum wire? Not very good with electricity. I can melt 2 pipes together with electricity but that’s as far as I go haha.

Yes, step it up and than back down. I worked with Green Mountain Electric out of St Albans Vt. to plan the system. More than pleased with the service.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast