+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Freezing up

Default Freezing up

I run vacuum at about 26 inches at releaser, the problen I have is when the temps get near 35/36, Ice builds inside my single veetical releaser. I am not sure where the air is coming from, but I am curious if the temperatures are in this range, would it help to drop my vacuum to a lower level like 15 inches, seems like it is less likely to build ice at lower vacuum, any thoughts?

That is an indicator that you have a vacuum leak somewhere because vac can keep sap running down to like 28 deg f. A vac leak sucking in air will cause things to freeze up at a warmer temp like 34-35 deg.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps on a drop flue 8-4 split

How big of a vaccum leak causes the releaser to freeze, I have pretty good vacuum at the releaser and no obvious leaks when walking the lines, such as taps that came off or anything making noise, can small quiet pinholes cause it to freeze early or am I missing something?

I had a line that kept freezing up all season and I walked that line 5 times this season and could not find the leak and yesterday I found it. It was a small crack in the plug at the end of the main line.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps on a drop flue 8-4 split

That's where a leak detector can help. I had one and it found leaks in vacuum even with a gas engine running just a few feet away. I've since sold the leak detector, but there are detectors available online, you just need ones that are portable. Mechanics use floor model detectors, look for a smaller hand held unit. For some reason D&G no longer lists one, that was who I bought mine from, I just sold it a few weeks ago, when I retired from tapping trees.
    This one may do it https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TRJA8M...erz_origin1-20
    I paid $200 for mine 5 or 6 yrs ago. This one is about $220.
    Last edited by maple flats; 03-28-2021 at 01:30 PM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    That's where a leak detector can help. I had one and it found leaks in vacuum even with a gas engine running just a few feet away. I've since sold the leak detector, but there are detectors available online, you just need ones that are portable. Mechanics use floor model detectors, look for a smaller hand held unit. For some reason D&G no longer lists one, that was who I bought mine from, I just sold it a few weeks ago, when I retired from tapping trees.
    This one may do it https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TRJA8M...erz_origin1-20
    I paid $200 for mine 5 or 6 yrs ago. This one is about $220.
    I have the model in your link. I age been able to hear leaks it will not “find”. A friend has the D&G one and it is much better.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Here is one that may work, I just got the link for it today: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...250_em_1p_0_lm
    Read about it to see if it looks like it will work. This one is $200.00
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread