+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How loud is an oil fired evaporator

I have a 2X6 oil fired evaporator. I didn’t like the noise but the convenience and safety from burning pans was worth it. It does retract from the rustic nature and not so good when you have guests. I got a new nozzle which brought my 4 gpm down to the next level and that helped. There is still plenty of heat. I looked onto getting a cover but a oil burner tech told me that most of the noise comes from the flame blowing into the arch and a cover would not do much.

2020: 317 taps, 2021: 360, 2022: 350 2023: 300, 2024: 230 (getting smarter)
    Drop lines and hanging buckets, all hand lugged
    2 X 6 raised flue evaporator
    7in. Filter press
    17 HP Kubota tractor
    12 X 16' sugar shack
    Sugar and red maples

Quote Originally Posted by DocsMapleSyrup View Post

Mead Maple; currently I'm boiling 50-60 gph with my 2x8 but have pushed it as high as 80 gph. I would like to concentrate to a higher brix than 8%, more like 15-20% then boil the rest. I probably sound crazy but I think I would like a bigger RO than my double post 4x40 so I can concentrate higher on first pass and get to a higher brix quicker and then have a quieter and maybe slower evaporator to boil with. How large is your RO that you are getting to 15%?
    My RO would technically be considered a 600gph machine. 8” post, 3 pumps (feed pump, HP pump, recirculation pump). It’s an older rig but is able to chew through sap very well and has made this part time gig with a full time job/family well worth doing. I did concentrate to 19% the other day to see how my arch acted and didn’t have any issues whatsoever other than keeping up with filtering. I have the 301 on mine as well but sounds like I need to raise my nozzle significantly to increase my boil rate. I’m nowhere near the numbers you guys are claiming and I knew based on what I saw for visual boiling effect that I wasn’t hot enough.
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12