+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How loud is an oil fired evaporator

Default How loud is an oil fired evaporator

The question is posed above. Currently, I have a 2x8 drop flue evaporator sitting on a homemade arch that has AUF/AOF supplied by a 1 HP bounce house blower that is in a box in an encloses back portion of my arch to reduce noise. I am getting tired of cutting and splitting wood in between working 12 hr shifts. I also am wanting the evaporator to be quiet like the natural draft wood arches but have no idea how loud a Carlin 301 would be if I changed over to oil. Are they loud, quiet or somewhere in between. I really love the idea of a flip of the switch and your up and running with oil, less wood in the sugar shack, less mess from the wood, less soot to clean off the flues, less dust, and less noise from the bounce house blower, but I'm sure a Carlin 301 must create some noise and is quite a bit more money. Looking for advice.

Wish list:
    Less noise
    Less mess
    Chad

2014: 12 taps, 5 gal buckets
    2015: 15 taps on bags
    2016: 150 taps: 100 on bags, 50 on 3/16" natural vac, 2x8 AUF/AOF Homebuilt Arch, 2x8 SL Drop Flu & Auto Draw, SL Propane Canner/Bottler
    2017: 225 taps: Built Lean to, Added SL hood, preheater, concentric exhaust, SL SS 7" SB Filter Press
    2018: 180 taps: Added Shurflo to 50 - 3/16", Auto fill sensor to head tank
    2019: No tapping
    2020: 175 taps
    2021: 300 taps, homemade RO and releaser
    2022: 600+ taps

Doc, I currently have a 2x8 drop flue on an oil burner rig. I’m running a Carlin 301 on there with a nozzle that’s smaller than I prefer. I’ve been going back and forth all season if I want to change the arch to wood or put a bigger nozzle on and continue to run oil.
    I will tell you the option you describe as “flip a switch” is everything you think it is. On my rig (can’t speak for others) I can literally run my head tank dry and as soon as I see no concentrate running to the float box I flip the switch and can walk away. I don’t have brick in my arch just insulation so it doesn’t take it too long to cool down. With 3 young kids and a full time job this takes away a ton of startup/shut down time. Plus I concentrate to over 14% so all together it makes it an easier pill to swallow. I want to put a bigger nozzle on for faster boiling rates. What are you seeing with your 2x8 wood fired rig?
    Last edited by maple flats; 03-28-2021 at 09:13 AM. Reason: some how I believe Mead Maple typed concentrate but auto error changed it to concrete. I changed it
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

No louder than an oil furnace minus the fan, or a boiler.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps on a drop flue 8-4 split

Pretty much what Brian said. You can hear it but by no means would I consider our 2x6 loud. Oil is very convenient, we would never gonna go back to wood.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

We have a 3x10 and its not loud at all. You know its running but can have a normal conversation over it

I’m running a 2x8 on a Leader oil arch and the Carlin 301 with a 4 gph nozzle. Originally it was what I thought was loud but that was without the burner cover. After I put the cover on the noise is not that bad. The “flip a switch” outweighs the little bit of noise. Had a float box issue right in the middle of a big draw the other night and that instantaneous shut down gave me a chance to fix the flow problem before there was a burnt pan.
    Last edited by Father & Son; 03-27-2021 at 09:44 PM.
    12 x 16 Sugarhouse, 12 x 16 Woodshed
    2 x 8 “The Mutt” Evaporator with Marcland Drawoff
    Leader oil fired arch, Dallaire raised flue, Smoky Lake syrup pan and hoods with pre-heater
    New Leader Clear Filter Press/Air Diaphragm Pump
    5” Hand Pump Filter Press from Daryl-One of the first three! On loan to a friend.
    Deer Run 250 gal/hr RO
    A Very Understanding Wife
    "At any time during the day you're only 10 seconds from disaster!"

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

There is definitely noise with oil-fired rigs. A lot depends upon the evaporator -- some are way louder than others. It isn't something that is really noticeable until you shut it off after a boil. Certainly better than a Steamaway blower, RO, compressor, or vacuum pump. We've put most things we are able to relocate into other buildings both for power reasons and for noise reasons.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quieter than the chainsaw I'd have to run all summer to get enough BTU's to equal what my two Carlin 701's produce.
    3,100 taps
    60 cfm flood
    HC2
    5 by 14 oil

Brian

I run a Carlin 301 on my 2x6. Just sounds like a fan, a bit of a loud fan, but definitely tolerable. I also will NEVER go back to wood. I run a 4.0 nozzle and made just over 100 gallons on 1 tank of oil, which I purchased for $1.79 last summer. I know I could make more on 1 tank if I concentrate to a higher level. Each year I make slight adjustments, will probably concentrate to 12% next year as I get more sap and trees tapped.
    2022 4x40" RO, Welch 1397 Vac Pump, 3 Guzzler Pumps, Lapierre Releaser, 1100 taps
    2021 Twin Baby Boys, Close to 650 taps
    2020 Upgraded RO to 2 post and 7GBS Pump. 265 taps
    2019 Smoky Lake 2x6 raised flue, Autodraw system, Maple Jet Filter Press, a beautiful new bride to be my sugaring partner :-)
    2017 Expanded Sugar Shack, new 2x6 with float box, NEXTgen Maple RO, 250+ taps, still on sap sacks
    2016 Sugar Shack, 2x6 evaporator, 160 taps, all on Sap Sacks
    2014 110 taps
    2013 35 taps

Thank you for the replies. My bounce house blower is loud and a normal conversation cannot be had without really raising your voice.

Mead Maple; currently I'm boiling 50-60 gph with my 2x8 but have pushed it as high as 80 gph. I would like to concentrate to a higher brix than 8%, more like 15-20% then boil the rest. I probably sound crazy but I think I would like a bigger RO than my double post 4x40 so I can concentrate higher on first pass and get to a higher brix quicker and then have a quieter and maybe slower evaporator to boil with. How large is your RO that you are getting to 15%?
    Chad

2014: 12 taps, 5 gal buckets
    2015: 15 taps on bags
    2016: 150 taps: 100 on bags, 50 on 3/16" natural vac, 2x8 AUF/AOF Homebuilt Arch, 2x8 SL Drop Flu & Auto Draw, SL Propane Canner/Bottler
    2017: 225 taps: Built Lean to, Added SL hood, preheater, concentric exhaust, SL SS 7" SB Filter Press
    2018: 180 taps: Added Shurflo to 50 - 3/16", Auto fill sensor to head tank
    2019: No tapping
    2020: 175 taps
    2021: 300 taps, homemade RO and releaser
    2022: 600+ taps

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast