+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Finally made some decent syrup, and people want the old stuff ...:rolleyes:

Default Finally made some decent syrup, and people want the old stuff ...:rolleyes:

So finally got to do some bottling last night... and I was actually making some nice golden and amber syrup at ... and at about 67%...

Previous years I seemed to always be making it dark and on the heavy side... I was always a little jealous when I read posts and photos about nice light coloured syrup.... One of those quality control things that I would try to improve over time.... but I was quite satisfied with not burning the pans, for the time being....

Wife started contacting people that weve given syrup to before, to take some orders... and they would really prefer the dark stuff, I used to make.

I find most of my customers prefer the darker stuff as well. It never hurts to have some variety though, at least for display and photo purposes. It's also neat to line up the grade jars and show the different colors.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

Dark is where the flavor tends to be While I was having my last large boil a few days ago, some neighbors stopped by and a comment was made by them that it smells even better than when they visited earlier in the season. Later sap, darker syrup, better smells and flavor They're getting bottles from every boil so they can enjoy the differences.
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

The first dark syrup made each year is usually my favorite. It's still sweet like an amber but you get enough flavor to know its maple. Usually grades just beyond amber.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

Grade and size are always a fun one to predict.

Some years everyone will want quarts of fancy and we run out of them right off. So the next year we bottle more, but everyone wants half gallons of amber haha. Almost every one of my old customers wants Fancy every year while middle aged people want amber (don't have a clue why that is). I hardly ever sell dark syrup, but have 10 gallons ordered for this year which is crazy. In the end we bottle what we can between everything else going on and I can guarantee you we will run out of something by June haha. The only reheating and bottling I do outside of the maple season is for wedding favors so we try to set aside 10 gallons for that.

Quote Originally Posted by littleTapper View Post
    Dark is where the flavor tends to be
    Yep, can't blame the customer for wanting the syrup that tastes better.

Give me (and many others) dark, batch boiled syrup thats cooked in a flat pan that's boiled all day in it, over sap that spends minimal time in an evaporator, any day.

(though it's all good, and WAY better than Aunt Jemima)
    Last edited by Wannabe; 03-26-2021 at 09:48 AM.

+ Reply to Thread