+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combining hobbies - atmospheric pressure compensating temperature device

Cool Combining hobbies - atmospheric pressure compensating temperature device

This is probably a bit different than the normal homemade devices folks post about here. I'm a big fan of automation, and based on the feedback I’ve received from others I’ve begun creating some of the devices I use to reduce the time I spend making syrup.

The first device I created reads atmospheric pressure to calculate the current boiling point of water every two seconds. It displays the boiling point of water, of syrup, and the current pressure in inches of mercury. This is handy not only for making syrup, but also maple cream and candy.

The second device builds on the first but adds a temperature probe that can be immersed in sap or syrup. It reads the temperature of the probe every second and will flash an LED and sound an alarm when the syrup reaches 66.9% sugar.

The third device builds on the second and adds a relay (switch) that closes when the temperature is reached and opens when the temperature drops below the target. It works with both AC and DC loads.

The fourth device is for people that recirculate when processing with RO. The device has a flow meter that reads the discharge of the permeate line. When the permeate drops below the desired threshold (adjustable), it will automatically turn off the RO pump. This lets me run my RO overnight and wake up to sap that’s ready to boil.

The fifth device is a controller for a vacuum pump. It includes two temperature probes, one for inside the pump box and one for outside of it. You can connect both a heater and a vacuum pump to the device. When the temperature inside the box drops below 35 degrees it will turn on the heater. The controller is highly customizable. It can be programmed to turn on the vacuum pump at a specific temperature (e.g. when it gets above 32) and off at a certain temperature (e.g. when it gets below 31). It also has an adjustable delay (e.g. turn off the pump an hour after the temperature drops below freezing, and turn on 30 minutes after the temperature gets above freezing).

The first device is finished, though I was hoping to have these available for the 2021 season but the global chip shortage impacted my ability to get the components necessary to build them.

164364931_10104214264831396_568341244600830899_o.jpg

164004340_10104214264841376_3342770241616076261_o.jpg

164401186_10104214264836386_3324881169319147245_o.jpg

I made a video of them here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2-dKGUtyT0

If anyone is interested in one you can PM me or visit my site plymouthsugarworks.com.
    Last edited by markgm; 04-19-2021 at 06:51 AM.

Awesome idea!
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

I certainly hope you have applied for patents
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Quote Originally Posted by Pdiamond View Post
    I certainly hope you have applied for patents
    I actually hadn't considered it (like making maple, this is a hobby for me), but will definitely look into it. Thanks for mentioning it.

A couple of folks reached out asking if I am selling these. I am, you can reach out to me here or at plymouthsugarworks.com for details on them. I assemble a few of these a day, it's oddly satisfying to solder everything together and make a tangible device!

Impressive- Definitely look into the patent for your own sake and do it soon!
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

Excellent application of skill to solve a problem. I was waiting until the off season to put together something similar. I settled for a pid for this season. Didn't have time to write any Arduino code while I was feeding the fire. I think the big guys charge a pretty penny for an automatic draw off with atmospheric compensation. Your prices are reasonable, if I wasn't dying to put my hand to the project for my own satisfaction you would have my $$ no question.
    2023 - 38 Gallons - RO broke, Buckets didn't run, rebuilt vacuum pump mid-season, still made good syrup!
    2022 - 52 Gallons - DIY RO, 50% less fuel, no late nights in the shack!
    2021 - 48 Gallons - new pans, new arch, lots of new taps and tubing
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

Mark, The more I have thought about it the more I feel you should apply for your patents ASAP before you make anymore of these units to sell. This could be something very big for you. I know its just a hobby. Think of all those items they sell on TV - they were all just a hobby.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Quote Originally Posted by Pdiamond View Post
    Mark, The more I have thought about it the more I feel you should apply for your patents ASAP before you make anymore of these units to sell. This could be something very big for you. I know its just a hobby. Think of all those items they sell on TV - they were all just a hobby.
    Not to be negative, but these are instruments that are currently in the marketplace.
    H2O Innovations Even Flow Draw off utilizes just such technology...adjusting draw-off temps based on barometric pressure. https://h2oinnovation.net/en/produit/thermoregulator-even-flow/

No competition price-wise though, the OP smokes them in that department!
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Quote Originally Posted by darkmachine View Post
    Excellent application of skill to solve a problem. I was waiting until the off season to put together something similar. I settled for a pid for this season. Didn't have time to write any Arduino code while I was feeding the fire. I think the big guys charge a pretty penny for an automatic draw off with atmospheric compensation. Your prices are reasonable, if I wasn't dying to put my hand to the project for my own satisfaction you would have my $$ no question.
    I actually got into making maple syrup because I had most of the equipment from making beer! I almost went with a PID controller for an electric brewing setup, but went with a software PID instead (Raspberry Pi). In the years since I've realized that Arduinos are a bit like screwdrivers, you find different ones fit perfectly in different applications. Using temperature to calculate finished syrup isn't exact to the tenth of a degree Brix, but it's so accurate that I never have to finish my syrup after I take it off of the evaporator. Going off of temperature was much more accurate (at boiling temps) than using my $200 Hanna refractometer. I create most of these things to save time or to have things running while I'm at work (like my RO - https://youtu.be/nf03jzq5F0w).

I probably would have purchased all the parts to build a setup but when I went hunting for the barometric sensor and the probe I found them easy enough the problem was every place I looked the screen that I wanted was either out of stock or discontinued. I really wanted to do like a 4 in touch screen in monochrome. The chip that I have is an Arduino clone called a sanguino it has more IO but a standard Arduino probably has more than enough inputs to do a draw off monitor stack temperature and a few other things to boot. I hear you about the screwdriver I think you could use them in just about everything in the sugar Bush for monitoring and do it for a fraction of the cost of what is charged by the big companies. I've been doing some research on Lora radios they seem like a perfect fit for remote pump stations and vacuum pressure monitoring.
    2023 - 38 Gallons - RO broke, Buckets didn't run, rebuilt vacuum pump mid-season, still made good syrup!
    2022 - 52 Gallons - DIY RO, 50% less fuel, no late nights in the shack!
    2021 - 48 Gallons - new pans, new arch, lots of new taps and tubing
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast