+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who quits when "that smell" starts sneaking into the steam?

Default who quits when "that smell" starts sneaking into the steam?

I made buddy syrup about 4 years ago and will never forget that smell/taste. Now I seem to be hyper sensitive to it and usually quit when I first think I get a whiff of it coming from the steam. Yesterday I finally smelt it and figured it was gonna be soon anyway since the sap had slowed down, and weve had a number of days of dry weather, sunny and 50's the past week and a half. To me it reminds me of tootsie rolls with a side of stank.

Curious how others describe the smell and what they do when they smell it.

I compare it to boiling dirty socks, not because I ever got it, but that was a description in something I read.
    My suggestion is when you start to suspect it, run a test boil before you add that sap to the rest to boil. If the test reveals that smell, toss it. Then finish off what you have that is still in need of finishing. If you just add every day, once you get the bad smell you have ruined the good sap still in the pan.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I didn't get the dirty sock smell this year but the last syrup from yesterday sure had the tootsie roll taste. I save a gallon of it each year for my vanilla ice cream. I can the rest for my kids and a brewery order I have.

Quote Originally Posted by canaanmaple View Post
    I made buddy syrup about 4 years ago and will never forget that smell/taste. Now I seem to be hyper sensitive to it and usually quit when I first think I get a whiff of it coming from the steam. Yesterday I finally smelt it and figured it was gonna be soon anyway since the sap had slowed down, and weve had a number of days of dry weather, sunny and 50's the past week and a half. To me it reminds me of tootsie rolls with a side of stank.

Curious how others describe the smell and what they do when they smell it.
    Wet cardboard. When I smell it I’m done.
    12 x 16 Sugarhouse, 12 x 16 Woodshed
    2 x 8 “The Mutt” Evaporator with Marcland Drawoff
    Leader oil fired arch, Dallaire raised flue, Smoky Lake syrup pan and hoods with pre-heater
    New Leader Clear Filter Press/Air Diaphragm Pump
    5” Hand Pump Filter Press from Daryl-One of the first three! On loan to a friend.
    Deer Run 250 gal/hr RO
    A Very Understanding Wife
    "At any time during the day you're only 10 seconds from disaster!"

the better question might be WHO DOESN'T STOP AT THAT SMELL. I run from it. it is awful and the syrup is worse!
    2017 140 taps 30x8 12x16 shack 28.5 gal
    2018 158 taps 30x8 12x16 shack with 8x8 kitchen 44 gal
    2019 223 taps 30x8 12x16 shack with 8x8 kitchen 36 gal
    2020 226 taps 30x8 12x16 shack with 8x8 kitchen 250 waterloo ro 63 gal
    2021 230 taps 30x8 12x16 shack with 8x8 kitchen 250 waterloo ro 37 gal
    2022 230 taps 30x8 12x16 shack with 8x8 kitchen 250 waterloo ro 55 gal
    2023 235 taps 30x8 12x16 waterloo ro 50 gal
    2024 54gal

Ooooh that smell
    Can't you smell that smell
    Ooooh that smell
    The smell of death surrounds you
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by wnybassman View Post
    Ooooh that smell
    Can't you smell that smell
    Ooooh that smell
    The smell of death surrounds you
    Good song. However, while the smell of buddy might signal the death of the sugaring season, it is actually the smell of life of the tree. It is due to amino acids the tree is dumping into the sap as it begins to ramp up growth in the spring.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 03-24-2021 at 08:18 AM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Good song. However, while the smell of buddy might signal the death of the sugaring season, it is actually the smell of life of the tree. It is due to amino acids the tree is dumping into the sap as it begins to ramp up growth in the spring.
    I actually still pulled off a few gallons after I started smelling that smell in the steam a little just to keep for something, and I keep going back and tasting it, and it's good dark flavor, not buddy at all. I still called it quits though, and gave the contents of the pans to a guy that makes mead and used the rest of the sap to fill up the pans to sit and do it's cleaning magic. Just heard the peep frogs on the pond for the first time yesterday also! Shorter season for me than last year, but just as much sap, and consistently higher sugar content also, so no complaints.
    Last edited by canaanmaple; 03-25-2021 at 06:52 AM.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Yes, syrup made at the start of that smell can dark and strong tasting, but without any real off-flavor.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Well we just made 40 gallons of it. My Nephew described it as herbaceous and bitter. My question is ...Can I sell this stuff in bulk to someone? If so I’ll finish it off.
    2400 taps all 3/16 gravity
    New CDL 600 GPH RO that is freaking awesome
    4x14 Leader/CDL rig with a steam-away
    Still havin' fun

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast