+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing ro membrane in preservative

Default Storing ro membrane in preservative

I have always stored my membranes in the machines. This year I would like to store my membrane in a separate canister in the house so I dont have to heat my ro room. My question is can I just place the membrane in the storage canister, mix up preservative in a bucket with distilled water, and dump it into the membrane/canister? I would like to skip the recirculation of the preservative through the wash tank while still in the ro if possible.
    1000 taps on vac down to 100+ buckets 99% sugars
    2x5 SL Hi-Output Raised Flue Corsair evaporator
    SL Short bank press with CDL diaphragm pump
    Leader Micro 1 RO for 2024
    Constantly changing
    2010:36 gal 2011:126 gal 2012:81 gal 2013:248 gal 2014: 329.5 gal 2015:305 gal 2016:316 gal 2017:258 gal 2018:147 gal 2019:91 gal 2020:30 gal 2021:30 gal 2023:50 gal Total since 2010: 2047.5 gal
    Tapping the same trees my great, great and great grandfathers tapped.

I will just be storing mine in the membrane housing filled with preservative. I’ll connect bottom outlets of the housing with the top inlet using a Tee connector as shown below. No need to reinvent the wheel by glueing pieces of pvc together 😁

https://imgur.com/a/4bMWS9q

What preservative do you use? new to the ro this year. read after doing rinse, soap, rinse, acid, rinse, soap and final rinse
    that some just use premate or distilled water to store for the summer.

Preservative = Metabisulfite Sodium
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

Quote Originally Posted by Fun4stuff View Post
    I will just be storing mine in the membrane housing filled with preservative. I’ll connect bottom outlets of the housing with the top inlet using a Tee connector as shown below. No need to reinvent the wheel by glueing pieces of pvc together ��

It’s my first year too!! I’m just doing the trees in my yard. Made about 1.5 gal of syrup. So i think I’m relatively small time and didn’t put as much stress on my membranes as others doing a lot more.

I read about those extensive wash/rinsing too. Also seems to be a lot of people that just store them in distilled water in their fridge. I may just do peroxide (2 quarts peroxide per 3 gallons warm water) and rinsing. Then store in sodium metabisulfite solution (1.1 oz per gallon) (i already have it from beer and wine making).

I have the same question. Seems like people store their membranes differently. Some in preservative and some in water.
    The end of season storage instructions for my set up says to flush with preservative but rinse and store in water.

Jumping on the question of storing as well.. I have a 4 membrane setup and was wondering if anyone stores their membranes in preservative in a 5gallon sealed bucket ? I was going to make some tubes for storing, but thought the bucket would be just as good. Then next season I rinse them out prior to using them.

The idea of storing in the fridge after a wash is out not an option due to space ...

Getting close to having to have a solution for this year, but hopeful to get some more syrup in after this warm spell.
    31 Taps in 2011 with buckets, Barrel evap
    45+ Taps for 2012 with buckets, 2x5 Dryer Arch with steel pans ! 8x11 Sugar Shack, Dump Stations,
    60 Taps for 2013- Insulated Dryer arch, AUF,
    2014 watched from sidelines...
    70 Taps for 2015 - dryer arch, new 2x5 divided pan from Smokey Lake with a float box !
    70 Taps for 2016 - added a preheater and new grates for the Dryerator.
    80 Taps for 2018 - Dryer arch got new front and door

Quote Originally Posted by Fun4stuff View Post
    I will just be storing mine in the membrane housing filled with preservative. I’ll connect bottom outlets of the housing with the top inlet using a Tee connector as shown below. No need to reinvent the wheel by glueing pieces of pvc together 

This seems like a good idea. But one of the concerns I have is how PVC stands up to metabisulfite sodium over time.

I have been told by people that know something about it that it probably suffers some decomposition over time when it is exposed to MS, whether it is DWV or PW-G rated.

With that in mind I would rather decompose some pvc I glued together rather then my pvc housings which I will then be running my sap through.

But then again perhaps your clever idea will have no issues, at least none detectable anyway.

I.E. the metabisulfite sodium preserves the mebranes we can safely assume, but can we also safely assume it preserves PVC?
    Last edited by Sugar Bear; 03-25-2021 at 08:33 PM.
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

Favorite Tree: Sugar Maple
    Most Hated Animal: Sap Sucker
    Most Loved Animal: Devon Rex Cat
    Favorite Kingpin: Bruce Bascom
    40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.
    1 Girlfriend that gives away all my syrup to her friends.

Seems like most are storing their membranes in preservative. Why would my directions say to store it at years end in water? Now I'm questioning it?

Hey Gord,

Which directions are you using for end of season storage?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast