+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beginner filtering. Hate it.

Been using the orlon cone and liners for years now... without problems... This year I purchased a 2nd one, as I use it at the evaporator and at bottling... Thought we might want to be in 2 places at once...
    Having huge issue with the brand new orlon at the evaporator..... I think its because my old one was very well wore in and washed so many times, before I started using my RO.... The combination of more syrup per hour and a brand new filter, I believe, is my issue... Will try the old filter if I boil again this year.

thebaler, how do you stop your top pot from getting sucked into your bottom pot after you open the vacuum? I always have to shoot some air into the bottom pot to free them up.
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

We filter right off the evaporator into a felt filter that is lined with two polyester prefilters. Use the sailor hat method to increase filter area. We tie the filter to rim of 5 gal bucket and have a hole in bottom that drains to a holding container. Did not purchase the wire rack for sailor hat as was not needed. One of our felt filters is so stiff that it can hold the weight of the syrup without the rack support. The other not so stiff so we support the middle with a piece of copper pipe.

We mainly run evap from about 8am until 3pm.
    For first half of season, no issue with syrup going through filter by the end of the day. Even later season, with more nitre, we just pull prefilter 1 a little earlier. Sometimes there might be maybe 300ml syrup that does not go through and in that case we just take out the sailor hat and let syrup hit the freshly exposed filter surface.
    We do lose some in the filter but dont think it warrants the effort of rinsing the filter with hot sap and returning to evaporator.
    Our total cleanup at end of day is maybe 15 minutes.
    2023 - 130 taps, 90L from 4,000L as of mid March
    2021 - 84 taps, 50L from 2100L
    2020 - 100 taps on buckets, 21L syrup from 2700L so far (FEB 26-Mar 13) and then the pandemic hit! End of our season!
    2019 - 62 taps on buckets, 95L syrop from 3215L sap
    2018 - 62 taps, collecting by hand, 90L syrop from 3200L sap
    2017 - Lapierre Waterloo Small mini pro with 40 taps
    2014 - 2016 40 taps making one or two batches on a 2x6 flat pan over an open arch as it would have been done in 1900

Quote Originally Posted by BCPP View Post
    ....Use the sailor hat method to increase filter area. We tie the filter to rim of 5 gal bucket and have a hole in bottom that drains to a holding container..... .
    I am curious about this sailor hat thing?? Hoping you might be able to shine some light on it for me...

I hang a full cone filter inside one 5 gallon pail, which drains into another... (just like you are describing, I think) except I just leave the filter hang in its natural state (no sailor hat).... I fail to see how using an optimizer or sailor hat would increase throughput?? Is the surface area of the filter not the same, regardless of how you shape it?? I can see how it would help get more in the bucket if you were limited by height... but does it really change the usable life or throughput of the filters?

It increases the surface area that the syrup is actually passing through(Usually only the bottom few inches of the filter) which gives you more time before it gets clogged up. It also flows through much faster with the sailor hat method. Give it a try with some water it will have a similar effect.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

Sailor hat fold on filter_210325_233840.jpg
    Hope this image attaches! Hope it shows the increase in filter surface area for a normal cone on top and sailor hat fold on the bottom
    2023 - 130 taps, 90L from 4,000L as of mid March
    2021 - 84 taps, 50L from 2100L
    2020 - 100 taps on buckets, 21L syrup from 2700L so far (FEB 26-Mar 13) and then the pandemic hit! End of our season!
    2019 - 62 taps on buckets, 95L syrop from 3215L sap
    2018 - 62 taps, collecting by hand, 90L syrop from 3200L sap
    2017 - Lapierre Waterloo Small mini pro with 40 taps
    2014 - 2016 40 taps making one or two batches on a 2x6 flat pan over an open arch as it would have been done in 1900

Here's a good thread on the subject

http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ight=optimizer

That said, I still HATE filtering and am trying the settling method this year.
    Last edited by Wannabe; 03-26-2021 at 04:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    Here's a good thread on the subject

http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ight=optimizer

That said, I still HATE filtering and am trying the settling method this year.
    I made my fist batch and which only gave me 1L of syrup. I went settle method as well since I would have lost too much in my filter. I did run it through a few prefilters first. After 2 days it's settling well already.
    2021 - Year one. 15 taps using 5/16" and drop tube into buckets. Homemade barrel evaporator with 2 steam trays. 4.7L syrup.
    2022. 32 taps. Added AUF.
    2023. 51 taps. Ditched the steam pans for an 18x22 flat pan.
    2024. 56 taps. Built a proper evaporator to fit the 18x22 flat pan and 1 steam pan.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12