+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beware of maple sites that dumb down the answers for beginners

Default Beware of maple sites that dumb down the answers for beginners

I will not name the site out of respect for what they do, but I was invited to leave a maple site designed for beginners because I refused to dumb down my answers.
    I made a promise to myself back when I first moved from total backyard amateur into a small time producer and I totally appreciated the fact that regardless of how big a producer was, they were sharing their knowledge with me so I could hopefully not make the mistakes they had gone thru. I still do my best to help all beginners, and a few not so new producers. If I ever talk over your head, don't be afraid to ask for better, easier explanations. I always have been told I am able to explain things in easy to understand ways, if I fail that, let me know. I am never trying to confuse an answer.
    I like to think The Maple Trader is a perfect platform for producers of all skill levels, from first year beginners to those who are multi generational producers. We share ideas and issues freely regardless of each members experience, that is why I do this.
    I also posted this in the backyarder section.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thanks Dave. Always love to read your in deprh comments. You do a great job

I started reading about maple syrup production a season before I started doing it and joined this site. Never been a member in any other group as I’ve not seen a need to. Everybody on trader from large scale producers to the backyarders seem pretty good to me. More info then I’ll ever need and questions answered super quickly. What more can ya want lol. I’m not sure I can think of why they wouldn’t want someone with a mass amount of knowledge but it’s their loss.
    225 taps 180 on vac 45 on natural gravity lines.
    2x6 drop flue with auto draw.
    Home built 3 x400gpd ro
    2017 kubota M7060hdcc12
    2019 can am defender

2017- first year 80 taps 22x36 home made arch and pan.

Dave, was this a Facebook group that you were on?
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

For maple, I'm only on mapletrader. The only other forum I participate in is a fishing forum which can be somewhat more secretive (mostly about specific locations) but otherwise very helpful to all levels of users, particularly beginners.

What I find on both forums is that actively participating makes me better at both. I learn from the thought I put into my responses and then the feedback from others with a different perspective or situation. Or, maybe they'll point out that I'm not seeing something correctly and I can learn from that.

Thanks Dave since you participate in a lot of those discussions.

Ken
    Last edited by TapTapTap; 03-21-2021 at 05:40 AM.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Had to run to hardware store yesterday. An Ace hadware. They carry basic tapping supplies. A woman next to me had a couple buckets and spiles. I asked her if she wanted any advice. She was happy to listen. First time trying it. Her family has alot of land. All I said is don't boil in the house and go to Mapletrader.

Maple Trader has been an absolute blessing to me from the beginning. I have actually told people on other type of forums how great the knowledge sharing is here. I would say this site moved me ahead 5 years in the beginning. I learned so much about everything from tapping, to filtering to equipment and more. I think I may have just gave up in frustration if not for this site in the early years. Even though I had experience as a kid, I didn't have real professional knowledge. You all are the kindest people I have ever encountered in a trade.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by BAP View Post
    Dave, was this a Facebook group that you were on?
    Sorry, I will not divulge the site, no clues will be given. Even though they are misguiding back yarders, on many levels, they do still help some. We just need to hope many of their members find this forum.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread