+ Reply to Thread

Thread: watch out for beginner sites that don't give good information

Default watch out for beginner sites that don't give good information

I will not name the site out of respect for what they do, but I was invited to leave a maple site designed for beginners because I refused to dumb down my answers.
    I made a promise to myself back when I first moved from total backyard amateur into a small time producer and I totally appreciated the fact that regardless of how big a producer was, they were sharing their knowledge with me so I could hopefully not make the mistakes they had gone thru. I still do my best to help all beginners, and a few not so new producers. If I ever talk over your head, don't be afraid to ask for better, easier explanations. I always have been told I am able to explain things in easy to understand ways, if I fail that, let me know. I am never trying to confuse an answer.
    I like to think The Maple Trader is a perfect platform for producers of all skill levels, from first year beginners to those who are multi generational producers. We share ideas and issues freely regardless of each members experience, that is why I do this.
    I will also post this in The Sugar Inn.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Dave, you've been an incredible help to me and I've always found your explanations clear. Their loss.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

To bad they didn't let you stay. You have so much knowledge to share. Everyone on here appreciates it.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Finding this site was a game changer as I was gearing up for my first season this January. The amount of bad advice posted elsewhere that was soundly refuted here is simply astonishing. Thank you (as well as all the other experienced posters) for the time you commit to helping newbies on this forum. I hope you continue to contribute here well into your retirement from maple production.

There's another site?
    150 taps on 3/16" gravity feed
    8 x 150gpd home made RO system
    4' x 18" continuous flow home made pan
    Steel double-barrel home made arch.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    The Maple Trader is a perfect platform for producers of all skill levels, from first year beginners to those who are multi generational producers. We share ideas and issues freely regardless of each members experience, that is why I do this.
    I will also post this in The Sugar Inn.
    I agree 110%,.... and very much appreciate all the hours of knowledge, experience and advice that you share with us newbies, Maple Flats. Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by torch View Post
    There's another site?
    LOL This was exactly what I thought

I’ve been studying all winter to prepare for my first time at collecting and boiling sap. Read too many blogs and websites to count, but I always came back to this site for the best source of knowledge. Every question I had had already been asked and answered on this site - in fact this is my first post! I even build my first evaporator out of an old filing cabinet and some steam table pans using pointers that I gleamed from this site. I got nothing but good information off this site. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this site and who answered questions for all the beginners that came before me.

First timer
    20 taps - mostly in mature sugar maples
    Filing cabinet evaporator
    Buckets and snowshoes
    Central Ontario Canada

Welcome and hope you have/had a good year. Best of all have lots of fun doing it. Bet you become addicted like the rest of us!!!
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

+ Reply to Thread