+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The last 1” of 16x16 canning unit ??

Default The last 1” of 16x16 canning unit ??

So we have been makings batches of 5-6 gallons per day and trying to bottle them in our 16x16 canner same day. We have found that the thermometer is out of the syrup once it hits 1” and the temp dial will drop below 180 even though the syrup temp is most likely still in canning temp range. How should we deal with that last 1” of syrup which is close to one gallon of product? Should I just tip canner and hope that it’s still at correct temperature? There has to be a better way....
    I have been saving the last inch each time and adding it to next batch but didn’t know if there was a better solution ?
    24x24 post and beam Sugarhouse (built by Lyle Merrifield and crew)
    2x6 raised flue cdl traditional evaporator
    600 gallon milk tank
    300 taps on combination of 3/16 and buckets

When you get to 1" the thermometer probe is no longer in the syrup and will not read syrup temp. It doesn't mean that the syrup is no longer warm enough to bottle.
    2 x 6 W F Mason arch, Leader WSE AUF drop flue pans
    40 taps 2009-
    New 16 x 16 sugar shack 2010
    180 taps 2012 -
    200 taps 2013 -
    220 taps 2014 -
    250 taps 2015 -
    300 taps 2024
    shurflo pump 2016 -
    new mainlines and saddles 300 taps 2017-
    added Deer Run 125 RO, Lapierre 7 inch filter press and CDL water jacket canning unit in 2019
    Bombardier 400
    BX 22 Kubota
    2024 is our 29th year making the " nectar of the gods"
    Just a hobby

What type of canning unit do you have? Your syrup will be fine for the last inch. Our CDL unit has the thermometer go straight in,so won’t read until there’s 15-16 gallons of syrup in the tank,and won’t drain the last inch of syrup as the draw off is 1” off the bottom,must’ve been a Friday night special,looking to get a Smoky Lake when the border reopens
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

Bottling that last bit is always a gamble when guessing the temperature, it could mold or cook further and crystalize after bottling. If the burner is still on then I'd imagine the temperature actually rises as the syrup level gets lower. Is this a steam canner ? I have always just tipped the last bit out and saved it for our personal use, though a gallon every time you bottle a batch may be too much for you to save for yourself after a few.
    For this reason i have wanted to make a miniature canner that's tall and narrow to allow smaller batches or for bottling the leftover with a more accurate temperature reading. I think adding it to the next batch may be your easiest solution besides shimming the pan in the rear to help with draining and to keep the thermometer in the syrup longer.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

When I get close to the last inch I reheat the syrup to 190 and then tip the canner up to get all of the syrup out. The syrup is still hot enough at that point to finish and not worry about it. I've been doing it that way for 20 years and have never had a problem.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

We don't typically run it all out but instead leave that inch or more in the canner and then refill in the next boil. The canner is covered during and between boils. We're also filling barrels so canning ends after 3 or 4 production boils. We'll set the canner up again for weekend boils when we have visitors.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Tip the canner, probe will be back in syrup temp will come up, can the syrup.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Back when I was using a canner that only had bottom heat, I also watched the level, and heated it to 188-190, shut the flame off and tipped the unit, then I bottled until done, but no real small bottles, usually did qts.
    Now with a water jacketed bottler I know, if the syrup temp stayed at a good temp while the thermometer probe was in the syrup, it's still right when the level is below the probe. I now generally start with half gal, then qts, then pints, and I finish with half pints (the smallest side I do). I know how much is left as the thermometer starts to drop because the probe is out of the syrup, the way I have mine set (back sets on a 3/4" thick board, to drain even better, even though the bottom is built with a slight slope). I still have between 7-8 qts, I then decide how many I want in pints and how many should be half pints. I usually finish with a partial half pint, I either take that home or if full enough I give it to one of the grandkids.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

With my Smokey Lake steam canner I continue bottling after the probe is out of the syrup. Nothing has changed, steam still hitting bottom of pan, lid still on. I used to tip it, but then I started noticing condensation running off the lid back into the syrup which I know had to change density of that last little bit. Never had complaints, but I stopped with this practice. Now I bottle until the flow slows too much, then pour the remaining quart or two back into the syrup pan of evaporator.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

Thank you guys for all the great tips !! Definitely going to try and bottle the majority of it next time and holdover the last pint or so that comes off for the following batch instead of the gallon we had been doing.
    24x24 post and beam Sugarhouse (built by Lyle Merrifield and crew)
    2x6 raised flue cdl traditional evaporator
    600 gallon milk tank
    300 taps on combination of 3/16 and buckets

+ Reply to Thread