+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bulk prices

I rushed to buy, but cut out the dealer. I far prefer to buy from local producers and I pay them a slightly higher price so they gain in 2 ways, no time and fuel to take it to the big buyers, and I pay the bonus.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Default Agreed thanks Doctor.

Agreed. Thanks doctor.

I have been speaking with a few producers in Quebec/Maine, most of the northern producers had a bad year, in some cases worse than 2021.
    I suspect that the total production this year will be less than demand. I wouldn't be giving away syrup this year for anything but top dollar.
    PCFarms - Producer of Maple Syrup and Distributor for H2O and DSD
    2019 - 30,300 taps
    2020 - 34,000 taps
    2021 - 38,000 Maple taps, 1000 birch taps

Quote Originally Posted by PCFarms View Post
    I have been speaking with a few producers in Quebec/Maine, most of the northern producers had a bad year, in some cases worse than 2021.
    I suspect that the total production this year will be less than demand. I wouldn't be giving away syrup this year for anything but top dollar.
    I did see the prices came down .30 cents from last year. Very disappointing!
    1350 taps on vac
    750 taps on 3/16
    4x12 evaporator oil fired
    1000gph d&g ro
    Double 7" presses
    2x4 oil fired finish evaporator

The more I learn about bulk maple syrup prices... the more I realize I don't know squat. I'm a baby in this whole thing! The whole thing is a mystery.
    Make sure you check out our YouTube Channel.
    https://www.youtube.com/bissellmaplefarm

www.bissellmaplefarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by PCFarms View Post
    I agree with you. The southern areas did good but that is not where the big volume is made. If you just followed The Maple News stories about the southern producers you would think it was a record year. The buyers are looking for a reason to pay less. I had been watching the temps for Montreal, Granby and all the way up to Quebec City and it looks like a terrible season. Last week Roth said Canada was just getting going. My thought was they were just getting going on pulling taps. Does anyone know what areas of Canada are the biggest producers?

Most of Quebec's syrup is made on the CAN/US boarder around Maine, up in the mountains. Nearly everyone ended their season in early April with the super warm days. Many hardly had 2 weeks of production. I spoke with folks in northern Maine - same story. Bascoms should be setting the price soon. Lets see what they do.
    PCFarms - Producer of Maple Syrup and Distributor for H2O and DSD
    2019 - 30,300 taps
    2020 - 34,000 taps
    2021 - 38,000 Maple taps, 1000 birch taps

The 12 producing regions in Quebec can be found at the link below - is in French but you can click on each Region and see where it is on the map and how many millions of taps are in each Region.

https://ppaq.ca/fr/nos-acericulteurs...ns-acericoles/

Almost all of Ontario and most of Western Quebec was done by Easter Weekend or just after. We had a week of 20+ Celcius (70 F) that quickly put the season to an end. I can't imagine Quebec and New Brunswick held on much longer.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post
    I agree with you. The southern areas did good but that is not where the big volume is made. If you just followed The Maple News stories about the southern producers you would think it was a record year. The buyers are looking for a reason to pay less. I had been watching the temps for Montreal, Granby and all the way up to Quebec City and it looks like a terrible season. Last week Roth said Canada was just getting going. My thought was they were just getting going on pulling taps. Does anyone know what areas of Canada are the biggest producers?
    From my understanding, there is so much carryover from the 2022 crop that the price was/is poised to go down regardless of the outcome of the new crop. Sales have declined a bit since covid as well, while the number of taps keep growing.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

rumor has it the prices are $2.30 and $2.20 with a 20-cent organic premium.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123