+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long is too long of a boil

Default How long is too long of a boil

I have a small setup that I usually do 40 gallon batches with. It usually takes me a full day of boiling to do a 40 gallon batch, about 8 hours outside on the wood fired boil and another hour or so finishing inside. Due to timing of when the sap has been running lately, I didn't do a boil last weekend, so I am doing my first boil of the season starting tomorrow. Only issue is I have about twice as much sap as I usually do in a boil. I estimate after collecting tonight, I will have around 80 gallons. My plan was to do a 2 day boil. Start it up satutday morning, boil as long into Saturday night as I can and finish up Sunday. It will likely be 2 full days of boiling. Is that too long of a boil for one batch? I can't remember the term but I thought there is a point at which you shouldn't boil the batch any longer. I'm assuming doing about 16 hours of boiling across 2 days would be fine for a single batch but want to confirm with some of you experts. I suppose I could break it into two batches and finish the first one the first night, but ideally I'd just do one long boil. Any issues with that?

Maybe split it in 2/5 and 3/5th. Do 3/5ths on the 1st day and the 2 5ths on day 2 then after the 2nd day is done add what was left on day 1? Just spitballing. I mean you can alwas do 1/2 each day then add whats left the day before at the end of day 2. just thinking 2/5 and 3/5 might make the time more even overall.
    2020 - 1st year - 14 taps 1 Gallon Jugs + 4x 5-Gallon Buckets + Propane Grill + lots of headaches
    2021 - 2nd year - 19 Taps (and some free sap from a friend in the same town!) 145 or so OZ
    2022 - 3rd year - 46 taps (3 at home, 2 at neighbors, 38 at friends, and 3 at work) added ROBucket RB10, and Silver Creek 18x34x6 Divided Maple Syrup Pan w/warming Pan+Valve+Thermometer 6 Gallons 6 OZ!
    2023 And we grow some more... Starting with OldPostMaple.com!

Not a problem with your boiling schedule. I'd be more concerned with how long the sap sits before you start boiling. Your syrup may be slightly darker due to the long boil but still will get a sweet product. Have fun!
    2014 6 Taps Block Arch and momas canning pot, 3 gallons YIKES

2019 100 taps and a new adventure with a home built arch.

2020 90 taps, my wife and I and a Bucket RO...

2021 112 taps and a modified Bucket RO.

2022 120 taps, modified Bucket RO a Wife, Son and Springer

Two things:

1 - The longer you boil, the darker the syrup will be.
    2 - The bigger the batch, the more nearup you'll wind up with in the pan. If you're used to an inch in the pan, you may not be able to get away with that at the end of the boil.

Cheers,

Gabe
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

I think I would just do half on Saturday, empty your pan and finish and make your gallon of syrup. Then do a second boil on Sunday.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

The term your looking for might be "sleep deprivation"? Sounds like you have a good solid 2 day plan! Keep boiling!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

When I get in that situation I try to boil and finish at least half the batch and while I'm finishing the first half, I'm boiling the second half. That way, if I run out of time I can more easily store the boiled....but not close enough to be finished....sap without so much worry about spoilage. At some point you still have to catch up but I'm a lot more comfortable storing boiled product that just sap.

Did you survive?!?

I know I went hard with boiling 17-18 gallons of sap yesterday on my little 1.5-2 GPH setup. Never boiled 8.5 hours straight like that before.

You don't realize how tiring the work is while you are doing it.
    2020 - 1st year - 14 taps 1 Gallon Jugs + 4x 5-Gallon Buckets + Propane Grill + lots of headaches
    2021 - 2nd year - 19 Taps (and some free sap from a friend in the same town!) 145 or so OZ
    2022 - 3rd year - 46 taps (3 at home, 2 at neighbors, 38 at friends, and 3 at work) added ROBucket RB10, and Silver Creek 18x34x6 Divided Maple Syrup Pan w/warming Pan+Valve+Thermometer 6 Gallons 6 OZ!
    2023 And we grow some more... Starting with OldPostMaple.com!

I have a 2 x 2 1/2' batch pan and will boil up to 60 gallons which takes about 12 hours on my set up. I cook it down to about an inch in the pan, add about 4 gallons of fresh sap to cool it down, cover it up for the night and then start over the next day. Day 2 I'll cook down about 40 more gallons over 8 hours which is as much as I can handle over a 2 day period of being outdoors and in the elements. I end up with really rich and tasty syrup. No ill effects to boiling a batch that long.🙂

2014 - Cinder block fire box, 2 roaster pans (thanks Mom), mix of 11 red and sugar maples tapped, 1.75G syrup.
    2015 - Same fire box reconfigured for Smoky Lake 24" x 33" pan. 17 taps on 16 trees with tubing to 5 gal buckets. 114g sap down to 2 3/4g
    beautiful syrup.
    2016 - Cinder block fire box is holding up fine. 20 taps, 155 G sap, 3.37G syrup. Great fun with friends.
    2017 - 21 taps on 5 gallon buckets. Good sap runs and reached my goal of producing 5 G syrup.

I think you should get an RO and finish it all in 5 hours

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast