+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guzzler pump problems

It seems that I have fixed the issue by swapping out the umbrella valves with duckbill valves. I ran it yesterday without issues.
    Tell me if this makes sense to all of you. I have 100 taps on this system. With the umbrella valves it was pulling 25-30 inches of vacuum when working right (before I had the backing up issues). With the duckbill valves the best I can get is 16 inches of vacuum but there is no backing up in the mainline. So is it correct to assume that you will always get more vacuum with the umbrella valves but they need more sap to operate properly? And you will not get as much vacuum with the duckbill valves but they will work better with less sap? Thoughts?
    2018- 125 Taps, 2,500 gal of sap sold
    2019- 414 Taps, new 12x24 Sugarhouse,
    new 2x6 Raised Flu D&G Evaporator,
    new 400gph D&G RO

Bosworth pumps that are set up for maple sap applications all have umbrella valves as standard, I believe because they are more efficient at producing vacuum. Interesting that you are actually seeing better flow with the duckbill valves.

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

Quote Originally Posted by Biz View Post
    Bosworth pumps that are set up for maple sap applications all have umbrella valves as standard, I believe because they are more efficient at producing vacuum. Interesting that you are actually seeing better flow with the duckbill valves.

Dave
    Does that mean the duckbill valves would be better for using the guzzler as a transfer pump rather than a vacuum pump? I'm having issues with mine and perhaps swapping those out may help.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12