+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When to stop collecting?

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Sugar maples have pointed buds early on, as the season nears the end they will swell, then at the very tip a little color will appear, they are done then.
    Today I opened a plastic bottle of syrup, given to us by a friend of my wife’s, who makes and sells maple syrup. The syrup was very dark and had an almost molasses taste to it. I still used it on my French Toast. My guess was that it was syrup from near the end of the season.Assuming that guess was correct, I have spoken to people and have read some posts, where they stop collecting sap, before the syrup gets too dark. I guess for some, they have enough syrup for their needs, and for others they want to end before they get into the darker syrup.

I guess there is stopping before the sap goes bad, but are there clues on when to stop before the syrup gets too dark and molasses like?

So, when you decide to stop collecting for whatever reason and you pull your taps, for how long does the sap continue to run out of the tree, before it stops?

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Swingpure View Post
    So, when you decide to stop collecting for whatever reason and you pull your taps, for how long does the sap continue to run out of the tree, before it stops?
    Depends on when/why you stop and what the weather is like after that point. If you stop early (for any reason), the sap can continue running as long as the weather is good for sap flows...typically not more than a week or two. If you stop when it turns buddy or the tapholes dry out, sap flows (from most taphole) will be low or none.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123