+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Small Batch Filtering

Just wanted to add the method I used this year, which is kind of a hybrid of everyone's here plus a few extra steps. I bought a used coffee urn for $5 and fill that with water and let it maintain ~185* until I'm ready to filter, then I dump it and keep it unplugged for the rest of the process. While I'm finishing the syrup I have my orlon and pre filters sitting upside down above the syrup to steam them and for faster filtering. Filter hot finished syrup through multiple pre filters, removing them as they get clogged but saving them.

At the end of each batch I warm up my pre filters and squeeze them out into a mason jar. Orlon filter goes in the freezer till next time. Repeat for each batch. I just ended my season a little early but after squeezing out all my pre filters plus lightly removing what I can from the orlon, I saved 16 oz of syrup across 7.25 gallons that normally would have been thrown away. That I will settle out and use to make candy. This way here I can hot bottle some perfectly clear syrup, but also not waste any! Plus the dispenser on the coffee urn makes for very easy bottling.

So after letting it settle for about 5 days and once I pour off all the "good" syrup and discard the unwanted niter, do you guys reheat before bottling? If so, what temp do you reheat to?

Quote Originally Posted by jwmiller View Post
    So after letting it settle for about 5 days and once I pour off all the "good" syrup and discard the unwanted niter, do you guys reheat before bottling? If so, what temp do you reheat to?
    I reheat the poured off syrup, filter and can it at around 185°F.

The filtering of the decanted syrup goes quick but still captures a little niter.

I don't discard the niter after the first pour off of syrup. I put it in a jar and let it settle out more.
    2019-2023 40 to 50 taps to get 8 to 10 gallons of syrup
    2018 Built the sugar shack, produced 10.5 gallons (converted some to sugar,& cream). taps varied 45 to 50
    2017 Built 2x4 arch for a divided pan, 8.5 gallons from 30 taps increased to 42 taps during season.
    2016 Produced 3 gallons & 1 quart Syrup, Block arch & 3 buffet pans, 12 taps
    2015 Thought about tapping

for me ( I make about 10-15 gal a season) I use plain filter. The way I see it is if you can drink coffee with the same filter-It's good to go. Might not be super clear but will taste just fine plus you get some extra minerals that pros filter out.

You need to reheat above 180 to ensure bottles are sterilized. I usually aim for 185-190 so that the temp in bottle is about 180. Carefully not to get much above 200 or you can cause more nitre to form and have to refilter! Also, make sure to turn bottles on their side for at least 5 minutes so that interior of cap is sterilized as well.
    2023 - 130 taps, 90L from 4,000L as of mid March
    2021 - 84 taps, 50L from 2100L
    2020 - 100 taps on buckets, 21L syrup from 2700L so far (FEB 26-Mar 13) and then the pandemic hit! End of our season!
    2019 - 62 taps on buckets, 95L syrop from 3215L sap
    2018 - 62 taps, collecting by hand, 90L syrop from 3200L sap
    2017 - Lapierre Waterloo Small mini pro with 40 taps
    2014 - 2016 40 taps making one or two batches on a 2x6 flat pan over an open arch as it would have been done in 1900

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123