+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Small Batch Filtering

Default Small Batch Filtering

Hello, I believe this will be my 5th year doing a small syrup operation in north eastern Minnesota. I have a wood fired 55 gallon barrel that has two stainless steel pans that sit in the top of the barrel for boiling. I usually do 3 boils a spring and end up with around 1 gallon/boil, so ~3 gallons total each year.

Filtering is my kryptonite. I can never seem to get the niter filtered out even remotely well. Last year was my first year using a hydrometer, so I know I am pulling the boil off the heat at the right time. I filter once when I pull the syrup off my wood fired outdoor setup and before I move it indoors to finish the boil. Then once I reach the right sugar content per the hydrometer, I pull it off the heat, wait for the temp to drop to 185 and then filter a second time. My filtering consists of one of the big felt like filters with 2-3 pre filters in there also. After my final filtering, I put the finished product into preheated jars and complete the bottling process. It seems that no matter what I do, I still end up with a good amount of niter at the bottom.

For someone doing a small batch like me, what is the best way to filter and remove niter? Would using 2 felt filters withs a couple pre filters be better? Should I wait for the temp to drop lower than 185 before the last filter? Any help would be greatly appreciated

syrup boiler.jpg
    Last edited by jwmiller; 03-15-2021 at 04:15 PM.

I'd just use the settling method if it were me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    I'd just use the settling method if it were me.
    Agree. Many, many years ago when I first started I just used an old T-shirt. I now use only the cone pre-filters. That gets the big stuff. Then we just let the niter settle out. We're not selling and we're not pros. It works fine for small batches and family use.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

A couple of things, #1 don't wait for it to cool to 185, the hotter the temp the easier it filters. However if you are heating it to filter, only go to about 190F. #2 A trick that often helps is to mix in about 1/2 cup of DE (or filter aid) to the hot syrup. If you use that method, find a local producer who uses a filter press and buy a few cups of DE. The DE comes in 40 or 50# bags and as small as you are it would just be too much. Do not buy it from an online store, food grade or not, it may not be an appropriate fineness for maple syrup. Using the DE method, add the 1/2 cup/gallon hot syrup, set up your heavy filter and have 1 thin pre-filter on top. Then pour the mixture into or onto the filter. The DE will form a filter cake on the pre-filter and that will then filter out the fine sugarsand (niter).
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

You should filter right away, don't wait for cooling. Use 3 or 4 pre filters on top of the felt or orlon filter. Make sure that you mark the felt filter in the corner either up or top with a permanent marker. this prevents you from turning it upside down and releasing anything caught in the filter after rinsing.
    Last edited by Pdiamond; 03-15-2021 at 07:45 PM.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Alaska (East Central Minnesota For Sugaring)

"I'd just use the settling method if it were me." Yup. For small batches that you're not selling. Much easier, way less frustrating, wastes less syrup.

"I pull it off the heat, wait for the temp to drop to 185 and then filter a second time. My filtering consists of one of the big felt like filters with 2-3 pre filters in there also. After my final filtering, I put the finished product into preheated jars and complete the bottling process." Unless you're reheating after filtering, I would think it would likely cool to much. If you are reheating to bottle, you might be creating more niter if you reheat it too fast (a steam tray or water jacket canner prevents that issue) or if you reheat above about 195, or hotter than your original filtering temperature.

I am a settler. Don't have to waste money or syrup on filters. I pour off the clear of my batches, then combine the cloudy remains and let that settle for one final pour off.

well...when you're done boiling put your syrup in a cool place for a week or so.This will let the particulate settle.
    After a week carefully pour your syrup into your finishing pan leaving the sediment behind.Finish to 66 brix, filter
    and bottle hot.It will be crystal clear.

I filter thru a paper prefilter when drawing off the evaporator. When I get it to the correct density on the stove in my outdoor kitchen I immediately right off the stove pour it into my orlon filter that has 2-3 paper filters setting inside. I get beautiful clear syrup with no niter. I use a coffee urn with added height to hold my filters and bottle. As soon as I dump the syrup in I place a lid on top of the filters and I usually can run 1 1/2 to 2 gallons thru without clogging. Holding the heat in really makes a difference. Saturday night I got 4 gallons thru before I had to clean the filters! Filter it as HOT as you can.
    2x3 Patrick Phaneuf Divided Pan
    Homemade arch
    RB20 RO Bucket
    121 taps total
    Sugar Shack in future
    Wife into it as much as me
    Also do homebrew

http://s928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/ZMANSYRUP/

Here's picture of my filter set up for small batches of 1/2 gallon or less. There's a wire fryer basket hung in the pot and my wife sews the filters to fit. I use 2-3 prefilters and a final orlon. I filter twice, once off the evaporator at 217 and then right off the propane finisher.

filtering.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by buckeye gold; 03-16-2021 at 07:09 AM.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast