+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Divided pan use - Question

I'm in Montague. I'm really just a small potato here. I have 21 taps I put out this year and an evaporator setup I just created. The last time I did this was when I was a kid. But I've been wanting to get back to it ever since. And I'm 'only' 54 now
    I'm using a 250K BTU propane burner for my fire so starting and stopping the process is simple and quick. I would like to go with a wood fired evaporator in the future at some point, if I come up with a situation that lends itself well to that.

It does make sense. What I've found so far is that I guess because the pan is so small, it doesn't seem like I'm ending up with much difference in density and temperature between where the sap enters at one end of the circuit and where it leaves at the other. I'm going to try it again this weekend and see if I can find the tipping point to try and stay on top of, between the flow into the pan and flow out through the draw off.

We have a mini pro evaporator that has a finishing pan that is roughly the same size BUT it is a least 12" deep and has a float valve that let's sap in. It runs at about 3/4" deep, having sap much deeper than that I'm not sure you'd ever get to a gradient. As it is we run for at least 10 hours before we get close to what I would call a gradient. Even then, the pan area is so small that it's more of a continuous batch process where we draw off small amounts at around 30 min intervals.The depth of our pans is critical as by the time the syrup is ready for draw in third channel the sap in second channel is foaming up- sometimes exceeding the height of our 9" dividers.
    2023 - 130 taps, 90L from 4,000L as of mid March
    2021 - 84 taps, 50L from 2100L
    2020 - 100 taps on buckets, 21L syrup from 2700L so far (FEB 26-Mar 13) and then the pandemic hit! End of our season!
    2019 - 62 taps on buckets, 95L syrop from 3215L sap
    2018 - 62 taps, collecting by hand, 90L syrop from 3200L sap
    2017 - Lapierre Waterloo Small mini pro with 40 taps
    2014 - 2016 40 taps making one or two batches on a 2x6 flat pan over an open arch as it would have been done in 1900

We use a coffee urn to bottle. I place a 5 gallon bucket with the bottom cut out on top and hang my filters in it. When I start my finish heating on the fryer my wife pours some hot water through the filters into the urn and turn it on and cover it. When I'm close to bottling temp she pours out the water from the urn and we start filtering. We use one synthetic and 4 pre filters. We can bottle 2-3 gallons in less than 30 minutes. pulling filters as they clog. The wet filters make a difference.
    Last edited by red/one; 03-17-2021 at 08:30 AM.
    2014 6 Taps Block Arch and momas canning pot, 3 gallons YIKES

2019 100 taps and a new adventure with a home built arch.

2020 90 taps, my wife and I and a Bucket RO...

2021 112 taps and a modified Bucket RO.

2022 120 taps, modified Bucket RO a Wife, Son and Springer

red/one, put a lid on top of the filters/pail. You won't believe how much faster your syrup will go through the filters if you keep the heat in.
    2x3 Patrick Phaneuf Divided Pan
    Homemade arch
    RB20 RO Bucket
    121 taps total
    Sugar Shack in future
    Wife into it as much as me
    Also do homebrew

http://s928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/ZMANSYRUP/

Quote Originally Posted by Z/MAN View Post
    red/one, put a lid on top of the filters/pail. You won't believe how much faster your syrup will go through the filters if you keep the heat in.
    Yessir that's what we do! We bottled just over 3 gallons last night and used 5 pre-filters. It works well. May upgrade to a vacuum set up next year. Home built of course...
    2014 6 Taps Block Arch and momas canning pot, 3 gallons YIKES

2019 100 taps and a new adventure with a home built arch.

2020 90 taps, my wife and I and a Bucket RO...

2021 112 taps and a modified Bucket RO.

2022 120 taps, modified Bucket RO a Wife, Son and Springer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12