+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Divided pan use - Question

Default Divided pan use - Question

Hi

I've got a well made divided pan for my backyard boiling. 21" x 24", 6" deep, with three troughs and a warming tank with spigot on top. I'm new to using a divided pan. I understand that you set the spigot on the warming tank to let new sap flow into the pan at the same rate water in the sap is boiling off from the pan. I've use the pan to successfully make a few gallons of syrup, so far. What I'm now wondering is if I'm using it correctly.

I've started by putting an inch of sap in the pan, get it boiling, then slowly add more sap from the warming tank to get it to ~2". Then I keep that level going until I'm out of more sap to add, or until what's in the pan makes it all the way to syrup, as evidenced by it's boiling temperature rising to 219 degrees. Once I'm there, I draw off the whole contents of the pan, all at once. I send it through a filter and into a tank where I'll get it from later to finish and can it.

Filtering is a problem. The amount of sediment is so much that it clogs the filter before all the syrup makes it through. My question is, can/should I be using the divided pan to run a continuous (slow) draw off, which will also let me manage the filtering stage better? I'm trying to understand if I'm using the syrup density gradient aspect of the divided pan correctly or not. The thought I had was that even though I have a divided pan, the way I'm using it right now seems to not be appreciably different than if I was just using a wide open pan.

Thank you to anyone who has time to share their wisdom about it!

-John

You are right, the idea behind a divided pan is to have a sap input on one end and syrup output on the other. Consistent sap levels and consistent firing are keys to producing syrup on a divided pan setup. The trickle-in sap setup and a small pan can make this a challenge but it's possible to do. For filtering I recommend using prefilters to keep the main filter cleaner for longer.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

Where are you adding raw warmed sap into your pan? It should be going into one end, farthest from the drawoff. Then as you boil, you should form a gradient, so it's raw sap in the first channel, and (eventually) syrup in the last channel (somewhere in between in your middle channel). When it gets to syrup in your last channel, you increase the flow of sap feeding into the evaporator, and draw off syrup until the temperature in the pan drops.

Does that make sense?

Gabe
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

For your filtering issue we line the felt filter with two or three layers of orlon filter. As the top orlon filter clogs we remove it to increase the flow. We repeat this a couple of times during the boil. Orlon filters are cheap, reusable a bunch of times and easy to clean. We also invert the center of the felt filter to increase the filter area.
    2023 - 130 taps, 90L from 4,000L as of mid March
    2021 - 84 taps, 50L from 2100L
    2020 - 100 taps on buckets, 21L syrup from 2700L so far (FEB 26-Mar 13) and then the pandemic hit! End of our season!
    2019 - 62 taps on buckets, 95L syrop from 3215L sap
    2018 - 62 taps, collecting by hand, 90L syrop from 3200L sap
    2017 - Lapierre Waterloo Small mini pro with 40 taps
    2014 - 2016 40 taps making one or two batches on a 2x6 flat pan over an open arch as it would have been done in 1900

I think BCPP is a little confused. Line the felt (OR Orlon) filter with 2,3 or more paper filters. Then as each clogs up, carefully dump it's contents into the next paper filter.
    Another method that helps is to mix some DE, (filter aid) (food grade, from a maple dealer diatomaceous earth, other sources will not likely be the correct size even if food grade). Mix in about 1/2 cup per 1 gal of hot syrup, then filter it. The DE will be caught by the filter and form a filter cake. Using this method you will only need 1 prefilter. When done filtering, wash in plain hot water, do not wring, just squeeze. Hang to dry.
    I used to use 3-4 pre-filters, and an orlon filter under it. I got as much as I could filtered, then I cleaned the prefilters separately from the orlon. That got washed in clean hot water and dumped back into the pan to boil, recovering most of the sweet in it.
    Last edited by maple flats; 03-15-2021 at 04:11 PM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Alaska (East Central Minnesota For Sugaring)

"My question is, can/should I be using the divided pan to run a continuous (slow) draw off, which will also let me manage the filtering stage better?"

I'll assume the warming pan lets you trickle the sap into the end of a trough at the far end from a draw-off spigot.

You are right, you should trickle in sap at the same rate that water is boiled away. You should be monitoring the density of the nearly finished syrup nearest the spigot, then very, very slowly trickle out finished syrup. Start and stop the trickle as necessary. Continue that until you are out of time or sap.

Dumping out the whole pan at once really is defeating the purpose of the divided pan. For one thing, different parts of the pan will have different densities.

With that small of a pan I wouldn't filter as I trickled out finished syrup, because it would cool too fast. I'd save up a larger amount and filter it later heating it to near boiling. Use several paper pre-filters on top of a thicker Orlon filter, carefully removing the inner one as it clogs. It's helpful if they are all moistened ahead of time.

Quote Originally Posted by buck3m View Post
    "
    Dumping out the whole pan at once really is defeating the purpose of the divided pan. For one thing, different parts of the pan will have different densities.
    Agree. I think this is where you are going wrong. At the end of the day, or when you have no more sap, just let your fire die down and let the pan and sap sit until your next boil. No need to empty the pan. The next time you have enough sap to boil, just fire t back up and you will see very quickly that you reestablish your gradient.

If temperatures between your boils get warm just fire it up and boil the sap for 10 minutes or so to kill bacteria. Really, you really only need to empty the pan at the very end of your season.

Where in Western Mass. are you?
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    I think BCPP is a little confused. Line the felt (OR Orlon) filter with 2,3 or more paper filters. Then as each clogs up, carefully dump it's contents into the next paper filter.
    Another method that helps is to mix some DE, (filter aid) (food grade, from a maple dealer diatomaceous earth, other sources will not likely be the correct size even if food grade). Mix in about 1/2 cup per 1 gal of hot syrup, then filter it. The DE will be caught by the filter and form a filter cake. Using this method you will only need 1 prefilter. When done filtering, wash in plain hot water, do not wring, just squeeze. Hang to dry.
    I used to use 3-4 pre-filters, and an orlon filter under it. I got as much as I could filtered, then I cleaned the prefilters separately from the orlon. That got washed in clean hot water and dumped back into the pan to boil, recovering most of the sweet in it.
    not confused but perhaps a difference in nomenclature? The orlon prefilters we use are labelled as orlon, definitely washable and come in packs of 10 or 12. Purchased from CDL I think. Other than that the process we use is as described, remove the prefilters as they clog.
    2023 - 130 taps, 90L from 4,000L as of mid March
    2021 - 84 taps, 50L from 2100L
    2020 - 100 taps on buckets, 21L syrup from 2700L so far (FEB 26-Mar 13) and then the pandemic hit! End of our season!
    2019 - 62 taps on buckets, 95L syrop from 3215L sap
    2018 - 62 taps, collecting by hand, 90L syrop from 3200L sap
    2017 - Lapierre Waterloo Small mini pro with 40 taps
    2014 - 2016 40 taps making one or two batches on a 2x6 flat pan over an open arch as it would have been done in 1900

just to clarify is your pan set up for continuous flow or just a 3 partition pan? all the advice on here is for continuous flow set up but i am not clear that is what you have
    THOR 20x68" + for 2022 Homebuilt 4-40 single post RO
    2022 180 buckets and 300 on 3/16 gravity 500L Syrup
    2021 305 Buckets and 95 on 3/16 gravity 423L Syrup
    2020 350 Buckets 375L Syrup
    2019 250 Buckets 270L Syrup

It's setup for continuous flow, I would say. The warming pan spigot flows into one corner of the pan. The two dividers have one bottom corner cutout, at opposite ends. The corner opposite the warming spigot has taps for the draw off valve and the thermometer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast