+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leaking Sugar, HELP!

Default Leaking Sugar, HELP!

Tonight I had 400 gallons of 2.4% brix sap. I just built a two post, 4x40 membrane build. The membranes are from a well known membrane supplier to the maple industry. Last week I ran 200 gallons of softened well water through the unit, then did a 20 minute was as directed and flushed again with 200 gallons of fresh softened well water. I left the concentrate valve wide open during the rinses and wash. Tonight I started to RO the sap. My flow meter was at 0.5 gym concentrate and I decided to check my permeate line. I was getting 2.2 % brix. What the world. I ran through the entire 400 gallons and my permeate read 1.8 at the end. I could taste sugar. Needing help please.
    Chad

2014: 12 taps, 5 gal buckets
    2015: 15 taps on bags
    2016: 150 taps: 100 on bags, 50 on 3/16" natural vac, 2x8 AUF/AOF Homebuilt Arch, 2x8 SL Drop Flu & Auto Draw, SL Propane Canner/Bottler
    2017: 225 taps: Built Lean to, Added SL hood, preheater, concentric exhaust, SL SS 7" SB Filter Press
    2018: 180 taps: Added Shurflo to 50 - 3/16", Auto fill sensor to head tank
    2019: No tapping
    2020: 175 taps
    2021: 300 taps, homemade RO and releaser
    2022: 600+ taps

check your u cup seals

Either seals aren't installed correctly or the valve configuration is incorrect, somehow somewhere a 3 way valve may be installed incorrectly, but it's really hard to say without being there to diagnose.

This is one thing about building your own machine is your the only one who knows about it and it's extremely hard to get any support.

But there's really only three reasons why you would pass sugar one is a blown membrane 2 is a bad seal on either end, or 3 valves configured wrong.

An ro is a very simple machine when it comes down to it.
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

Also, assuming the seals are correct, when you flush you want the flows roughly equal, for both concentrate and permeate, if you had the valve wide open (and you plumbed correctly) you pushed a huge majority thru the housing and out on the concentrate side, and very little thru the membrane on the permeate portion. To flush both should be the same flow, and during the process adjust the pressure as necessary to keep them equal. That's even if you are small and get .1 gpm on each or larger and get 4 gpm on each or any other flows, just equalize them using the needle valve to raise or lower the pressure.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Describe how it is plumbed please. From the high pressure pump what hoses connect to where on the membrane housings. The outter should always be sap or concentrate, out the center should be permeate.
    Also, to others, can you use softened water to flush a membrane, I don't know. Would salt in the softened water cause any issues?
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

The concentrate flows on the outside of the membranes. The permeate on the inside. The plumbing goes from the procon pump high pressure to the outside of the one membrane then to the next membrane, then to the needle valve and then through the flow meter. I did pull off the top caps tonight. I did find that the inner O-rings on the permeate side of the end caps (the smaller O-rings in the middle opening) seems to be off center. There is more O-ring exposed to one side of the O-ring than the other side by 1-2 mm and the rings fit in the grooves snug. ? manufacturing error? Also, One of the 4" O-rings on the outside of one of the end caps has some impurity embedded in the O-ring but that seems like it would affect the seal of the cap to the vessel and not interfere with the Permeate/Concentrate part.
    Chad

2016: 150 taps: 100 on bags, 50 on 3/16" natural vac, 2x8 AUF/AOF Homebuilt Arch, 2x8 SL Drop Flu & Auto Draw, SL Propane Canner/Bottler
    2017: 225 taps: Built Lean to, Added SL hood, preheater, concentric exhaust, SL SS 7" SB Filter Press

Problem solved! Took the membranes out of the housing and found that I had rolled an O-ring in the bottom cap of one of the canisters. Fixed that. I was able to totally clean up the permeate, zero sugar! I ran the pressure up to 300 psi and nothing blew. Hoping to run in the 250-275 range. Thanks for the ideas!
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Also, assuming the seals are correct, when you flush you want the flows roughly equal, for both concentrate and permeate, if you had the valve wide open (and you plumbed correctly) you pushed a huge majority thru the housing and out on the concentrate side, and very little thru the membrane on the permeate portion. To flush both should be the same flow, and during the process adjust the pressure as necessary to keep them equal. That's even if you are small and get .1 gpm on each or larger and get 4 gpm on each or any other flows, just equalize them using the needle valve to raise or lower the pressure.
    Chad, I'm glad you had a simple fix! That's a good feeling.

Dave, for clarification when you are talking about flushing with equal flow rates are you just talking about the short flush of the sugar out of the membranes after concentrating?

When I flush with permeate after a soap wash or even during a soap wash, I have the high pressure valve wide open and the needle valve closed.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

When you flush or clean you want as much scouring as possible so the max flow through the concentrate side will clean the best. There should be nothing to clean on the permeate side.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

+ Reply to Thread