+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autodraw with stack temp

Default Autodraw with stack temp

With our new CDL Venturi evaporator it became important to know our stack temperature. I took that opportunity to build a new autodraw controller with a separate stack temp controller. We had an old one without a stack probe and the controller screen was getting tired so it was time for an upgrade. Fun little project that will help a lot.

20210130_081038_resized.jpg20210130_080958_resized.jpg20210306_134927_resized.jpg20210306_142726.jpg
    West Sumner Sugar House
    West Sumner, ME
    500 +/- Taps - 2 x 8 CDL Venturi - 3 Shurflo Solar Systems - MES Dolly 300
    https://www.facebook.com/WestSumnerSugarHouse

Very nice! How do you like the Venturi?
    I’m looking to upgrade to a Venturi or Silverplate next season. Both look like great units but I’m thinking the negative pressure on the Venturi would be easier to work with.
    300 taps on 3/16 with Mountain Maple Shurflo vacuum
    50 taps 3/16 gravity
    Lapierre/Waterloo/Small 2x6

Nice West Sumner! We finished the walls in the shack so I'm just finishing rewiring our panel. Cold Sap Temp, Sap after Preheater Temp, Firebox Temp, Stack Temp and fully modulating auto drawoff.

New Walls.jpg
    2013 135 Taps 35 on Gravity, 100 on Buckets 11 Gallons Made
    2014 310 Taps 75 on Sureflo 4048, 235 on Buckets, 16'x16' Sugarshack, 5" Filter Press, 2x6 Smoky Lake Hybrid Pan (SOLD) 23 Gallons made
    2015 315 Taps, 17 on Sureflo 4008, 62 on Sureflo 4048, 236 on Buckets 31.25 Gallons Made
    2016 New Northwoods Stainless Finisher and Steamhood
    2017 325 Taps 34 Gallons Made
    2018 150 Taps New Northwoods Stainless 2x6 Raised Flue w/ Air Tight Arch 40+ Gallons Made

That's pretty nice. Does the stack temp controller part dictate speed of fan or how far open a blast gate is? And how did you do that?
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

Quote Originally Posted by BRL View Post
    Nice West Sumner! We finished the walls in the shack so I'm just finishing rewiring our panel. Cold Sap Temp, Sap after Preheater Temp, Firebox Temp, Stack Temp and fully modulating auto drawoff.

Attachment 22200
    Jealous of the modulating draw off. I literally finished this one and saw those and wanted one. Another project for the future.
    West Sumner Sugar House
    West Sumner, ME

Quote Originally Posted by minehart gap View Post
    That's pretty nice. Does the stack temp controller part dictate speed of fan or how far open a blast gate is? And how did you do that?
    The venturi fan is on or off, no adjustment. Its just measuring the stack temp so we know when to add wood. CDL recommends 750 stack temp so we will use this to monitor that.
    West Sumner Sugar House
    West Sumner, ME

Quote Originally Posted by Dadz View Post
    Very nice! How do you like the Venturi?
    I’m looking to upgrade to a Venturi or Silverplate next season. Both look like great units but I’m thinking the negative pressure on the Venturi would be easier to work with.
    We have only done a test boil using water so far. Sap will hit the pans this weekend. I think the biggest thing for us was not having to kill a fan each time we open the door to throw wood. So far seems like a nice unit. The venturi fan is a little loud so we remotely located ours outside. Took some extra fabrication but 100% worth it.
    West Sumner Sugar House
    West Sumner, ME

We have only done a test boil using water so far. Sap will hit the pans this weekend. I think the biggest thing for us was not having to kill a fan each time we open the door to throw wood. So far seems like a nice unit.
    Quote Originally Posted by West Sumner Sugar View Post
    The venturi fan is a little loud so we remotely located ours outside. Took some extra fabrication but 100% worth it.
    Do you have any pics of how you mounted the fan? New venturi is in the works for us but I know that fan has to go outside.
    CDL 2.5*8 Venturi with all the bells
    Leader Clear 5 bank filter press
    Memprotec 350H RO
    600ish taps and looking for more.

Quote Originally Posted by West Sumner Sugar View Post
    I think the biggest thing for us was not having to kill a fan each time we open the door to throw wood. Took some extra fabrication but 100% worth it.
    I have AOF and AUF, until my grandson forgot to shut off the blower as he added wood (back in the first season I had the blower) and I saw no sparks or smoke coming out the door, the fan no longer gets shut off to fuel. It gets turned on as soon as the fire is lit, and runs non stop until the last coals are almost burned out.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

That's a nice looking unit! I've thought about a stack temp. unit for a while, but I'm no electrical engineer, lol. What are the components? Brand, sourced from where and price? What's involved with wiring that up? Kind of self explanatory or close to "plug and play"? Or does the readout come with instructions even I could figure out? I wouldn't need the indicator lights but a readout would be very helpful.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast