+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Infusing maple syrup?

Default Infusing maple syrup?

I was thinking about adding like a touch of apple cider or something to infuse an apple taste to my syrup this year curious if anybody has done something like this or if it will even work?

I haven't tried it, but I think that usually when flavours are infused, a dry flavouring is added like coffee or cinnamon and then the syrup is re-filtered to remove solids. If you added a liquid ingredient then you might have to re-boil the syrup to get back up to density.

Nick
    3x12 Grimm
    2200 on vacuum
    woodmizer LT40HD25
    6 little sap haulers
    Facebook

I've done half a cinnamon stick in quarts of syrup. The result is most excellent.
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

Quote Originally Posted by nas View Post
    I haven't tried it, but I think that usually when flavours are infused, a dry flavouring is added like coffee or cinnamon and then the syrup is re-filtered to remove solids. If you added a liquid ingredient then you might have to re-boil the syrup to get back up to density.

Nick
    This place has powdered flavorings, natural and some organic, I purchased their cherry flavoring for something I was doing............no not in maple syrup. I was happy with the product. www.bestflavors.com/flavors/flavor-powder/natural-flavor-powder/c92_240_21/ If you call them they are good about information also Jay
    Zucker Lager

I recently did a couple pints of ginger infused syrup just to try it. I started with finished syrup from last year, threw in about an inch of ginger root, sliced thin. Let it simmer for about 15 minutes. The result was incredible. I'll be cooking a batch this weekend. The plan is to cook just like normal. When I get within about a half a degree of done, I'll add about an inch of ginger per quart to the syrup until finished. Skim it out prior to filtering. I'll post next week to let you know how it goes. Not doing away with my traditional syrup, but this was darn good!

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by nas View Post
    ... when flavours are infused, a dry flavouring is added like coffee or cinnamon and then the syrup is re-filtered to remove solids. If you added a liquid ingredient then you might have to re-boil the syrup to get back up to density.
    That is correct. An infusion is when a material (usually plant, herb, spice, etc.) is soaked in syrup for a period of time, then filtered out, leaving the flavor of the infused material imparted into the syrup. Tea is an infusion.

If you add a liquid ingredient...it becomes an ingredient, not an infusion.

Note that regardless of the process, the product made by doing this is no longer PURE MAPLE SYRUP and should not be sold as such.

Lastly, the fine particles used for some infusions can be difficult to filter out. Some of the color bodies in the syrup or material may also form a residue on the bottom of the bottle. That is especially the case when syrup is added to ethanol to make a flavored-alcohol. Both the particles and color bodies may serve as crystallization nuclei for sugar crystals to form in the syrup.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 03-17-2021 at 08:07 AM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSaps2 View Post
    I recently did a couple pints of ginger infused syrup just to try it. I started with finished syrup from last year, threw in about an inch of ginger root, sliced thin. Let it simmer for about 15 minutes. The result was incredible. I'll be cooking a batch this weekend. The plan is to cook just like normal. When I get within about a half a degree of done, I'll add about an inch of ginger per quart to the syrup until finished. Skim it out prior to filtering. I'll post next week to let you know how it goes. Not doing away with my traditional syrup, but this was darn good!
    Ginger! Brilliant. I bet that is really good!
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

In Ohio and probably other states, you cannot add anything to the syrup and sell it unless you do so in a licensed facility. It becomes a processed food.
    Central Ohio
    Leader WSE 2x6
    Old metal corn crib converted to "The Shack"
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacket canner
    Daryl 5" filter press with air pump
    Deer Run 125 RO

2023: 140 taps, buckets, 32 gallons
    2019: 100 taps, buckets, 45 gallons
    2018: 100 taps, buckets, 31 gallons
    2017: 100 taps, buckets, 15 gallons
    2015: 100 taps, buckets, 34 gallons
    2014: 100 taps, buckets, 30 gallons
    2013: 100 taps, buckets, 52 gallons

Well, I may not have made this clear in my earlier post about ginger infused. I don't have to worry about the legalities of selling. All of my syrup is for personal consumption, and given away. I sure do seem to have lots of friends this time of year. Wonder where they all are when it's wood cutting season?

I run 30-50 taps a year, and typically do 3-5 batches.

+ Reply to Thread