+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bottling below 180 F

Default Bottling below 180 F

Hi, I'm a newbie and have boiled last march and this march. On my first boil and upon bottling the last few, bottles had sugar crystals. I've not had this problem before. Because I had 5.5 liters (which is a lot for me) of maple syrup that went thru a cone filter I suspect the last few liters were below 180 F. The fact that the syrup was well below 180 F, could this have caused my bottled syrup to have crystallized? The first bottled 3 to 4 liters seem fine. I can't find an answer to the question "what happens when you bottle maple syrup below 180 F". Any help would be appreciated.

crystalizing is generally because you are over syrup. Get yourself a Hydrometer to verify density. Temperature is not as accurate a measurment. Bottling over 180 is done to prevent mold growth in the bottle and is not likely the cause of your issue.
    THOR 20x68" + for 2022 Homebuilt 4-40 single post RO
    2022 180 buckets and 300 on 3/16 gravity 500L Syrup
    2021 305 Buckets and 95 on 3/16 gravity 423L Syrup
    2020 350 Buckets 375L Syrup
    2019 250 Buckets 270L Syrup

Thanks for the response. You could be right as my draw off was at 222 F, that's where my hydrometer told me to draw at that time. I thought that was too high, should have been about 219 F. So I think that in fact it was too thick. However, what doesn't make sense is why only the last few bottles i filled have crystallization. Am I to assume that eventually the balance of the bottles will crystallize? My hydrometer may have not been washed properly and had solidified syrup on it from prior testing, making the hydrometer heavy and thereby giving me a false reading.

If you had it hot for a while and uncovered it'll still steam off and get denser as you go. Did you have a lid on the filter or bottling pot? It helps hold heat and loosing steam.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Were you still heating while bottling? As the syrup level decreased, you could have over-heated the last few liters. A water jacketed bottler keeps even heat without adding niter or crystals.

As you get above 66.6% sugar the water loss increases exponentially so if it took you a bit of time to bottle the last part would have higher sugar. If you have Crystal's forming immediately on the later bottle I expect you'll get crystalization on the others as well, just may take several months to develop.
    2023 - 130 taps, 90L from 4,000L as of mid March
    2021 - 84 taps, 50L from 2100L
    2020 - 100 taps on buckets, 21L syrup from 2700L so far (FEB 26-Mar 13) and then the pandemic hit! End of our season!
    2019 - 62 taps on buckets, 95L syrop from 3215L sap
    2018 - 62 taps, collecting by hand, 90L syrop from 3200L sap
    2017 - Lapierre Waterloo Small mini pro with 40 taps
    2014 - 2016 40 taps making one or two batches on a 2x6 flat pan over an open arch as it would have been done in 1900

I had the lid off and it was cooling off rapidly. I guess I need a steam heat bottler to keep the temperature a constant. It took some time to bottle and the bottles probably had cooled off (had them in the oven) by the time we bottled. I think the biggest contributor to the crystalization is the hydrometer and not washing it between tests with warm water to make sure it did not have any caked on syrup from previous tests. The other thing I think I should do is when I'm getting close to syrup to turn down my flame and try to slow down the boil as BCPP mentioned the closer you get to syrup the evaporation rate goes up exponentially so I thinks its good to turn down the heat and be patient and test frequently. I'm boiling tomorrow again so I'm going to put all my bottled 5.5 litres back in the finishing boil and redo it along with my new syrup I boil down tomorrow. Thanks all for your input. Always an education.
    2024 - 20 Taps Buckets - 97 taps - 3/16" - Drops 5/16" - Vacuum - TBD
    2023 - 20 Taps Buckets - 80 taps - 3/16" - Drops 3/16" - Vacuum - 136 liters of syrup
    2022 - 20 Taps Buckets - 80 taps - 3/16" - Drops 3/16" - Vacuum - 100 liters of syrup
    2021 - 20 Taps Buckets - 40 taps - 3/16" - Drops 3/16" tubing - Gravity - 25 liters of syrup
    2020 - 15 Taps Buckets - 5 liters syrup - Propane Turkey Frying Pan
    Thor 18" x 54" - 2021
    Nano RO-2022
    Shurflo 4008 Vacuum
    Barrie, Ontario CANADA

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    Thanks for the response. You could be right as my draw off was at 222 F, that's where my hydrometer told me to draw at that time. I thought that was too high, should have been about 219 F. So I think that in fact it was too thick. However, what doesn't make sense is why only the last few bottles i filled have crystallization. Am I to assume that eventually the balance of the bottles will crystallize? My hydrometer may have not been washed properly and had solidified syrup on it from prior testing, making the hydrometer heavy and thereby giving me a false reading.
    We can't tell you what temperature will give you the exact right density, that's why you should use a hydrometer and learn how to use it.
    The reason is the temperature you need is based solely on the exact barometric pressure at your location. That will change as weather fronts move in or move away, and your elevation above sea level also changes it. If you have your exact barometric pressure, that should allow you to get the boiling point of water right then, with that add 7.3 degrees F and you will know what to draw at. However during a draw the density will gradually drop, so you will still do better with a hydrometer (or a refractometer). A hydrometer to give you the correct density must get a reading at 211F, which if you fill your test cup with actively boiling syrup 2x, dumping it back to warm the cup, then fill a 3rd time and carefully lower the hydrometer into the hot syrup in the cup, by the time it floats steady the temperature will be pretty much 211F. There are formulas and charts to adjust for other temperatures in this: https://holmes.osu.edu/sites/holmes/...full%20pdf.pdf
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Maple flats: Great link Good resource for detailed info.......THANKS
    https://holmes.osu.edu/sites/holmes/...full%20pdf.pdf
    2024 - 20 Taps Buckets - 97 taps - 3/16" - Drops 5/16" - Vacuum - TBD
    2023 - 20 Taps Buckets - 80 taps - 3/16" - Drops 3/16" - Vacuum - 136 liters of syrup
    2022 - 20 Taps Buckets - 80 taps - 3/16" - Drops 3/16" - Vacuum - 100 liters of syrup
    2021 - 20 Taps Buckets - 40 taps - 3/16" - Drops 3/16" tubing - Gravity - 25 liters of syrup
    2020 - 15 Taps Buckets - 5 liters syrup - Propane Turkey Frying Pan
    Thor 18" x 54" - 2021
    Nano RO-2022
    Shurflo 4008 Vacuum
    Barrie, Ontario CANADA

Bullet, I have a small thermos I fill with hot sap. When I am finishing I keep my hydrometer in it all the time I am running the finisher. Just don't drop it in as with sap it will fall clear to the bottom and break.gently lower it in until it hits bottom. My thermos is just tall enough about 1/2 inch sticks above the top.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast