+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1 gallon plastic jugs leaking

Default 1 gallon plastic jugs leaking

Any tips to bottling larger sized plastic? I’ve been laying them on there side after hot packing and after a few minutes many start to distort and leak. Can I skip laying them on their sides?
    24x24 post and beam Sugarhouse (built by Lyle Merrifield and crew)
    2x6 raised flue cdl traditional evaporator
    600 gallon milk tank
    300 taps on combination of 3/16 and buckets

Are you using jugs made for maple syrup and if so what brand? If properly capped they shouldn't leak. I've used Sugar Hill jugs and had an occasional leak with any size jug. I use Bacon jugs now and may have one in 500 leak. I don't know where Raymond is but if it's not too far from Porter I believe that Bill Mason sells the Bacon jugs.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Usually any size jug leaks but it's almost always a cap that's not properly tightened. If you don't tip the jugs, you will get mold in some of the jugs. Early on I had that issue, my dealer said to fill the jugs, only to the bottom of the threads, then tighten the caps realo snug, then lat it on it's side for 30 seconds to 2-3 minutes, then stand upright. I still get maybe 1 in 250-300 that leak, they go in my fridge, or to my kids.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thanks for the replies. I’ll double check the jug types. I think that we where over filling a bit on the big ones and the syrup was pushing on the seal when we laid on it’s side. We put a little less in and it seemed to work better.
    Thanks again
    Ryan
    24x24 post and beam Sugarhouse (built by Lyle Merrifield and crew)
    2x6 raised flue cdl traditional evaporator
    600 gallon milk tank
    300 taps on combination of 3/16 and buckets

+ Reply to Thread