+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bottling Prices

I have always had a hard time getting plastic jugs this time of year, but this last year has certainly been more challenging overall for plastic and all other packaging I use, which in my case is a lot...

I now use several different different suppliers for plastic and glass and have different options for what will work with our labels. For instance, for smooth sided glass canning jars I have a few different options for each size so that when one is unavailable I can usually find some that will work. I completely moved away from Mason jars due to availability and needing smooth sided for labeling.

Pricing has been variable as well with anything made in China or Canada increasing in price (tariffs and pandemic). Domestic products has been mixed with the Ball jar supply chain issues throwing off all domestic production...

I have a hard time believing that texas refineries shutting down has had much impact on the current price of syrup jugs given the overall state of supply chain issues across the board, but oil prices do certainly impact plastic prices. The reality is that none of this stuff is going to be getting any cheaper...
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by TuckerMike View Post
    We actually thought about switching to Mason jars as we can get quarts for just over $1 each. The problem with that is we'd have to come up with all the "required labeling" that is already printed on the plastic jugs AND find a place to put that sticker on the mason jar.

I agree with Dave....we need to add up all of our costs and make sure we're getting fair market value for our product. There's a LOT of producers in my area that seem to be running cut-throat operations trying to corner the market with cheap pricing. I'm just not willing to sell a product, that takes me hours to produce, for less that what it is actually worth. I'm not looking to get rich off this adventure by any means...but I can't see giving it away for peanuts either.
    We have printed the necessary information on an Avery label and applied it to the jar. We have a small label with our name and e-mail address. We use the round maple leaf grade sticker on the top. We are changing to mason style (ours will be Kerr) jars for local sales unless they want plastic or a fancy glass jar. The mason jars are normally less expensive if they are available. The last year brought a lot of new gardeners out of the woodwork and they canned their goods.
    Tapping since 1985 (four generations back to early to mid 1900s). 200-250 taps on buckets and then tubing in the mid 90s. 2013- 275 taps w/sap puller 25 gal. 2014-295 taps w/sap puller 55 ga. (re-tapped to vacuum theory) 2015-330 taps full vac. 65 gal, 2016-400 taps 105 gal, 2017-400 taps 95 gal. 2018-additional 800' mainline and maybe 400 new taps for a total near 800 taps. 2x6 Leader WSE (last year on it) supported by a 250 gph RO.

But don't worry...it's not inflation.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12