+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Starcat stack question

Default Starcat stack question

I am using a star cat evaporator for the second year. On my first boil today as I got into the evening I noticed that when I add wood I get some orange flames out of the top of the stack for a period of time then they die down. As I got in the evening I also noticed some parts of the stack glowing orange. My question is if this is normal I believe I have the standard six Foot stack. I did also notice a slight gap between my pan and the evaporator. To my questions are is this normal? How hot in the stack yet before it’s a problem I am outside so I have nothing near it? I do not have air over fire but feel I shouldn’t need it if I bought a stock evaporator? How open should I have the damper?

Thank you

I have the Dauntless Evaporator and I have only fired it once so far and it was during the day so I did not notice any flames or any of the pipe glowing orange. I would think this is normal, the draft is real strong in these. I also have a slight gap between the bottom of the pan and the top of the evaporator believe this is normal, you could add some flat rope insulation if you want but do not think it is needed. The damper should always be wide open on evaporators unless you need to shut down in an emergency.

Bryan

There isn't much of a gap between the pan and the top rail when the arch is cold, but once it's been running good for a while you'll notice that gap getting larger. Look straight front to back along the side of the arch and you'll see the sides are bulging out from the heat. This year I added about a half an inch of rock wool behind the fire brick and the bulging has decreased a lot. I think the better solution would be a quarter inch thick ceramic blanket behind the fire brick.
    2016-First year
    17 Taps
    Block arch & steam pans
    About 1 1/2 gallons
    2017-20 taps
    About 3 gallons
    2018-13 taps
    Same Block arch & steam pans (modified arch & pans)
    2019-12 taps (keep losing trees)
    2020-Brand new Smokey Lake StarCat evaporator, about 15 taps.
    43.62N 87.78W

Bryan, You really should get some flat insulation to go in between the pan and the arch, that is allowing cold air in.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

bprifle01, I believe my corsair arch has the 1.5 or 2 inch ceramic blanket behind the fire brick. It is what came with the arch when I bought it.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

yes, I have the starcat and I had to add 1/2" ceramic blanket behind the fire brick. It gets really hot if you're using the right wood and cross stacking the wood in the arch.
    You might want to add a little blanket or pan gasket below the pan where it rests on the arch rails. I love my little starcat. And yes I had a 4' flame out my stack too.

here is a video of my starcat evaporator in action today.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTc...XHh6-0KKHP-6jQ

tapdrinker,

I very much enjoyed the videos. This does relate to original posting, in regards to stack flames. I use a sheet metal parlor stove converted to an evaporator for last 6 years. I do get flames out the 10' stack also at times. How many years does your stack and elbow last? I get about 3 years on the stack and 2 years on the elbow. Is that considered normal? Thanks for any insight or advice.

This is my first year with starcat. So I really can't answer that question.

+ Reply to Thread