+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foam Wjy is it bad?

Default Foam Why is it bad?

So when you are boiling foam is bad correct?
    #1 Why? (Besides easier to see if it is going to boil over)
    #2 Turning down temp a little seems to remove the need for fighting foam. Why not do this?
    #3 Any reason to boil at say 3" instead of 1-1.5"?

'm sure I'll have more questions. Lots of time to ponder while boiling with propane since I don't have too feed the fire lol
    Last edited by TheNamelessPoet; 03-07-2021 at 05:42 PM.
    2020 - 1st year - 14 taps 1 Gallon Jugs + 4x 5-Gallon Buckets + Propane Grill + lots of headaches
    2021 - 2nd year - 19 Taps (and some free sap from a friend in the same town!) 145 or so OZ
    2022 - 3rd year - 46 taps (3 at home, 2 at neighbors, 38 at friends, and 3 at work) added ROBucket RB10, and Silver Creek 18x34x6 Divided Maple Syrup Pan w/warming Pan+Valve+Thermometer 6 Gallons 6 OZ!
    2023 And we grow some more... Starting with OldPostMaple.com!

#1 Foam can spill over the sides of the pan. It can also reduce the syrup available at the surface of the pan causing burns. This is particularly true in the syrup compartment of a divided pan.
    #2 Turning down the temp slows the evaporation rate.
    #3 Generally the deeper the sap the slower the evaporation rate because the steam bubbles have further to travel through the liquid layer before being released into the air. There will also be an increase in heat lost through the sides of the pan.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

So... you want as shallow as you feel comfortable (and without risk of burning pan) with as little foam as possible without saturating a defoamer enough to taste it correct?
    2020 - 1st year - 14 taps 1 Gallon Jugs + 4x 5-Gallon Buckets + Propane Grill + lots of headaches
    2021 - 2nd year - 19 Taps (and some free sap from a friend in the same town!) 145 or so OZ
    2022 - 3rd year - 46 taps (3 at home, 2 at neighbors, 38 at friends, and 3 at work) added ROBucket RB10, and Silver Creek 18x34x6 Divided Maple Syrup Pan w/warming Pan+Valve+Thermometer 6 Gallons 6 OZ!
    2023 And we grow some more... Starting with OldPostMaple.com!

That's the general idea. Boil at a depth that you are comfortable with and use just enough defoamer to manage the foam. Some foam is expected and isn't automatically an emergency. You want to keep it from spilling over the sides of the pan.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

Keep in mind there are two different things people refer to as"foam". There is the light foam that you can skim off if you like. It can be a bit of a nuisance if it builds up on the side of the pan. And then there is the massive amount of tiny bubbles that form sometimes as you approach syrup density. This is the"foam" that is much more problematic, as it can cause all your syrup to explode out of the pan and all over. If this happens there is nothing soaking up all the heat on your pan and it will burn and warp. That is what you are trying to prevent with the defoamer.

GO
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

Quote Originally Posted by TheNamelessPoet View Post
    So... you want as shallow as you feel comfortable (and without risk of burning pan) with as little foam as possible without saturating a defoamer enough to taste it correct?
    When Bruce Gillian from Leader Evaporator was presenting at maple conferences on evaporators and boiling he said there wasn’t a syrup pan made that the depth should be less than 1 1/2” of sap.
    12 x 16 Sugarhouse, 12 x 16 Woodshed
    2 x 8 “The Mutt” Evaporator with Marcland Drawoff
    Leader oil fired arch, Dallaire raised flue, Smoky Lake syrup pan and hoods with pre-heater
    New Leader Clear Filter Press/Air Diaphragm Pump
    5” Hand Pump Filter Press from Daryl-One of the first three! On loan to a friend.
    Deer Run 250 gal/hr RO
    A Very Understanding Wife
    "At any time during the day you're only 10 seconds from disaster!"

I have heard reference to several places on the evaporator where drops of defamer should be put on a regular basis. Is there a specific rule of thumb to follow, one that I can make some sense of, that explains why it’s suggested to put defoamer in certain places? And how regularly it should be put in? I think I heard to put it in on start up, too. I haven’t found any clear and scientific resource that discusses this yet. Any suggestions or feedback would be great.

Ellen

I add a drop of defoamer right at the inlet float box every time I fire. They pretty much takes care of everything. If I need a drop here or there then I add it where it is needed but that is pretty rare.
    Jake
    smoky lake 2x6 drop flue SSR on homemade arch
    235 taps on 2 gast 1550s and lappiere releasers
    24x12 sugar house
    2019 Kubota L2501 work horse

I have ran alot of evaporators with only 1 inch. Some of those guys are after your wallet. The foam will mess with the levels so keep the pans clean, the foam down and boil hard and as shallow as you dare that makes syrup.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps on a drop flue 8-4 split

Thanks Jake and Brian. Ok to use vegetable oil? Is that what “defoamer” is? And drops or I haven heard of spraying Pam Cooking Spray...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast