+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this an aspen? Tree ID Vermont

Default Is this an aspen? Tree ID Vermont

Is the tree shown in pics aspen? Looks similar to birch at top but bark much different at base. Very tall and shading out some maples.

How do they burn?

In house wood stove? Evaporator? Outdoor fire pit only?

8D615459-11B3-4159-9371-7A55B63305BE.jpg0B5F9B66-F72D-4398-89E1-034224214A44.jpg

It looks like aspen to me not sure which species the pics are a little blurry. I'm burning cottonwood in my evaporator right now, which is a related species, and I like it very much. I would not use it in the house except the fall and late spring because you need to load often. Needs to be put inside a woodshed, not stacked outside.
    Last edited by Ed R; 03-07-2021 at 09:32 AM.

It'll need a lot of drying and then burns up fast. If you need wood badly then go for it, but I wouldn't waste time or fuel on it.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

309B2429-8D7B-4C83-A205-4DDB7DF6D43B.jpg621DFF37-D8DD-4F02-A9A6-4917573F5442.jpg

Tried to load larger file size photos. Not sure these are any better resolution.

I believe that’s a big tooth aspen which is a common early successional species in old fields.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

I don’t really need the wood but wondering what to do with them after I cut them down. They are shading out some of the better maples.

Not sure what the pulp market is like in your area or how much property you own , but I did pretty well on a thinning cut on my UP property several yrs ago. Lots of aspen like that and some bigger which were sold as logs. If it's a big enough job, I would talk to a forester. Also don't know if you have tubing up already.

I'm over the hill into Williston. It looks like aspen (locally called poplar and frequently pronounced "popal"). We've been trying to manage them over here. It grows faster and takes over the forest, and then they blow over and take down more valuable species. I've used it for firewood in my outdoor boiler, burned it in the evaporator, and sold it as wood chips (larger scale). They are a royal pain to take out since they're often smack in the middle of other trees and a lot taller.

I've also sawed some and used it for interior wall boards in my sugarhouse. It's a fairly light-weight board but pretty hard. Now that I've done a couple of rough cut buildings, I decided that they make good perlins and girts when sawed in 1" boards of 4 or 5" width. They are much tougher than pine or hemlock so it makes you feel a lot more confident when walking on them as roof perlins.
    Last edited by TapTapTap; 03-07-2021 at 12:06 PM.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Ken,
    I’m right over the hill from you, on Wortheim Ln & boiling around the corner form you at my brothers on Butternut rd. Thanks for the info, we’re talking about the same thing. Agree they are going to be tough to get out without damaging a bunch of surrounding trees. I’ve made some bookshelves out of poplar is aspen poplar or just what people around here call it? I’m planning a pole barn this summer and it sounds like it may save me some on lumber to have someone come in and saw some boards. Would like to see your setup anc say hello when the open house weekend gets back to normal. Marty

I use Leo Boutin as a sawyer. He's done millions of board feet on his portable saw mill and has a great eye for sizing up a log. I've used him 3 times now and I'm going to get him back in the spring.

We'd love to have visitors and we're good for 2 visitors at a time according to the Vermont restrictions. So it's okay by us as long as we practice proper covid protocol. If your brother is on the east end of Butternut then you'd probably see us making steam.

Ken
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast