+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Boil Tomorrow

Default First Boil Tomorrow

Hello all,

First time posting, just got accepted today. 34 gravity taps in 28 trees - all rock maple. 20 +/- gallons (mostly all frozen) to cook tomorrow. 2x3 stand alone steel hobby stove, wood fired, with a flat pan and warming pan. Looking forward to the fun coming up this week.

Been sugaring for 10 or so years. Had to take a hiatus of a couple years living in an apartment. Property I live on now has 60 or so viable rock maples - heavily forested. Plan on thinning at some point to give them some more room to grow.

First time using the new stove tomorrow so should be a learning curve. Good luck to all as the season progresses!

Hope you had a good boil today. I am a little late the party this year. Just got my taps in today. I got 64 into buckets and 21 into a new 3/16 line that will have a shurflo on it before next weekend assuming the necessary parts show up. I am just a little north of you in Fairfield. Would love to have 60 rock maple available. I tap mostly reds in a swampy area next to me. I do have a few rock maple around the house, but not many.

Our first boil will be tomorrow afternoon and evening. One of our bushes has opened up and is flowing, the southerly facing one. Other bushes still just dripping, maybe open up overnight or tomorrow. Nice freeze coming afterwards. It’s here, good luck to everyone.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

Quote Originally Posted by mainebackswoodssyrup View Post
    Our first boil will be tomorrow afternoon and evening. One of our bushes has opened up and is flowing, the southerly facing one. Other bushes still just dripping, maybe open up overnight or tomorrow. Nice freeze coming afterwards. It’s here, good luck to everyone.
    Glad to hear we arent the only ones in the area having a slow start. We will boil this weekend but man the sap just doesnt want to release.
    West Sumner Sugar House
    West Sumner, ME
    500 +/- Taps - 2 x 8 CDL Venturi - 3 Shurflo Solar Systems - MES Dolly 300
    https://www.facebook.com/WestSumnerSugarHouse

This weekend will be our first boil of the season. Have about 90 gals and hopefully add another 20-30gals today. before we boil. Some of our trees are not releasing either down here Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by West Sumner Sugar View Post
    Glad to hear we arent the only ones in the area having a slow start. We will boil this weekend but man the sap just doesnt want to release.
    Everything is still running this morning but still only dripping in some places. Stubborn trees for sure but they will make it up for it later in the year. You are correct, doesn't want to shake loose in some areas. But we laughed about it last night, we go through this every year.........wanting everything to gush at once and it never does early on. We'll have over 200 gallons, maybe 250 gallons to do tonight. Sweeten the pans.
    Wesfab 7” filter press

Quote Originally Posted by mainebackswoodssyrup View Post
    Everything is still running this morning but still only dripping in some places. Stubborn trees for sure but they will make it up for it later in the year. You are correct, doesn't want to shake loose in some areas. But we laughed about it last night, we go through this every year.........wanting everything to gush at once and it never does early on. We'll have over 200 gallons, maybe 250 gallons to do tonight. Sweeten the pans.
    Completely agree. We can only get up to Sumner to boil on the weekends and always have high hopes of full tanks. Luckily we have about 100 taps in Lewiston to get us going early and we finish out in Sumner. This gives us a longer season. Im guessing we will have 300 or so to process tomorrow...but we always hope for more!
    West Sumner Sugar House
    West Sumner, ME

Quote Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
    This weekend will be our first boil of the season. Have about 90 gals and hopefully add another 20-30gals today. before we boil. Some of our trees are not releasing either down here Washington.
    Good luck on your first boil!
    West Sumner Sugar House
    West Sumner, ME

Quote Originally Posted by West Sumner Sugar View Post
    Same here in Mount Vernon. This warm weather was a bust for sap flow. I had 20 gallons each Tuesday and Wednesday but dropped to 10 Thursday and 8 today off 50 taps. Not cold enough at night I guess. Though weirdly, some trees seem to flow anyway.

I always get edgey when the trees let up......I've got 70 gallons stored. 55 for a boil Monday and the rest toward a boil the following weekend. The cold snap hopefully will get things going again.
    Two 2x4 concrete block arches with three steam trays each
    Tapping in Mount Vernon since 2016, 30 to 70 taps, 5/16" tube to 1.5 to 3.5 gallon buckets, some trees on collective gravity tubing to 5 gallon buckets.

Mostly sugar maples, a few reds on 200 year old homestead

We cooked off 215 gallons tonight. Same as last years first boil but 1 week later. Never got a draw but were close. Pans are sweetened. Uneventful day, we had everything ready and it went smoothly. Still haven’t seen over 13” on our Shurflo setup but we’ll figure it out. Looks froze up till end of next week. Going shopping tomorrow for something to do, the wife wins!
    Sap was 1.9%
    Last edited by mainebackswoodssyrup; 03-12-2021 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Added info
    Wesfab 7” filter press

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast