+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone own a 9" CDL Vacuum Filter?

Default Does anyone own a 9" CDL Vacuum Filter?

If so, what vacuum are you using on it? And how much syrup can you get through before having to change the filters? I've heard they are out of stock right now, is that because of high demand?

2021: 28 taps. 18"x36" flat pan and dual natural gas burners.
    2020: 31 taps. 3 full size steam table pans on a custom 6x water heater natural gas burner setup.
    2019: 31 taps on silvers. Back porch gas cook top with 2 full size steam table pans. An amazing 14.9 gallons in my backyard!
    2018: 22 taps on 9 silvers. Propane turkey fryer and full size steam table pan on electric stove. I made 4.25 gallons in my backyard!

Do you want one for this season? You could build one on your own pretty easily. Youtube diy maple syrup vacuum filter. We made ours pretty quickly, all for under $100, not including. Shop vac that we already had.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a 12” and I can get 4 gallons through easily without replacing the prefilter, however, it seems later on in the season it seems to take longer to suck through
    2017= 11 buckets and hobby pan
    2018= 160 taps on 3/16, Leader 2x6
    2019= 450 taps on 3/16, 3 4"membrane RO
    2020= 500 taps
    2021= 600 taps CDL 12” vac filter
    110 HP Ford TW-5 for hauling sap

Just a kid trying to figure out the sugaring game!

just a shop vac will do it. normal year 6 to 10 gallons through. this year i would guess 2 to 4. everything is clogging up more than usual. i though you were selling yours?

yes very high demand. i sold a ton this year. cant beat it for the money. no press comes close to these on price
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

Quote Originally Posted by jdircksen View Post
    If so, what vacuum are you using on it? And how much syrup can you get through before having to change the filters? I've heard they are out of stock right now, is that because of high demand?
    I used to own one and loved it and never had issues. I used it mainly as a finishing filter, and bottler. I always do cone filter coming off the evaporator though since it's so simple to do and gets all the real sludgy niter out so easily. So when I use the vacuum filter after finishing, it almost pours right through the filters without turning on the shop vac! I used the smallest shop vac there is.

one more trick I found helpful is using a few pre-filters stuffed in the top and one under the lock ring. that way you dont have to dismantle to remove a pre-filter.
    Last edited by canaanmaple; 03-14-2021 at 07:38 AM.

We have a 9" one of these. This is the first year we have had it. We use it as a finisher/bottler. We pour through a paper cone filter off the evaporator which catches a lot of the junk before it even goes indoors. It beats the heck out of waiting for the syrup to dribble through on gravity alone. We have found that after two gallons the prefilter is pretty clogged and throughput goes way down. I like the tip about stuffing a prefilter inside the top canister, not under the lock ring. I'm going to try that.

I put it on a 2.5 gal, 1.75hp Craftsman. The smallest shopvac at the hardware store, $30 bucks. In a long filter session the hot air tends to start to collapse the hose. But overall it works like a champ and I don't think you can beat it for the price. The finished product is very clear.

Default Vs. flat filter with steam tray

Hi, I am considering up trading up to a CDL vacuum filter this upcoming season from my current flat filter system. Because it sounds like it does filter much more quickly with vacuum. But It doesn’t come with a steam tray, which my current flat filter system, to avoid hotspots and burning finished syrup when the level gets low in the pan. Does anyone know if these vacuum filter systems can have a steam tray below? Or Alternatively, How hard would it be to add plumbing for vacuum to the current flat filter pan?
    2022 is season 7
    2016: 20 taps on buckets, 4 gallons on a borrowed 2x3.
    2017: 32 taps on buckets, 8 gallons of syrup, on a "loaner" Lapierre 19x48.
    2018: 80 taps. First time tubing. New 10x12 sugar shack, Lapierre 2x5. Made 17 gallons
    2019: 100 taps. 22 gallons. Added a small RO 50 gph.
    2020: 145 taps, 30 gallons, sold half. Murphy cup is a great addition.
    2021: tapped Feb 23, 150 taps, 35 gallons.
    2022: 200 taps. I lost 50, added 100. Having fun but short season?

We used one the last 2 years for filtering and bottling with a small inexpensive shop vac. We are able to get 2 gallons before plugging the pre-filter, but with filter aid are getting over twice that amount. The filter aid makes a huge difference in quantity and quality.

We preheat it with hot water. There is a space between the bottom of the holding tank and the main unit which allows you to put it on a burner to keep up temperature while bottling.
    Sunrise 2X4 Hobby
    Smoky Lake Hybrid Pan

100 Taps

40 Taps

I haven't figured out a way to adapt my CDL filter to add a steam tray.

But Smoky Lake makes a vacuum adapter for their steam bottler. Check it out for ideas: https://www.smokylakemaple.com/produ...ut-filter-set/
    2021: 28 taps. 18"x36" flat pan and dual natural gas burners.
    2020: 31 taps. 3 full size steam table pans on a custom 6x water heater natural gas burner setup.
    2019: 31 taps on silvers. Back porch gas cook top with 2 full size steam table pans. An amazing 14.9 gallons in my backyard!
    2018: 22 taps on 9 silvers. Propane turkey fryer and full size steam table pan on electric stove. I made 4.25 gallons in my backyard!

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by tgormley358 View Post
    ...How hard would it be to add plumbing for vacuum to the current flat filter pan?
    Probably not too difficult. Clamping the system down tight is important. You want to be really careful how much vacuum you pull on an apparatus not built to handle vacuum. Probably safe with a shop vac, but with many vacuum pumps you could easily suck in the sides of the canner/canister and dent it. A cylinder is pretty resistant to this issue, but a square/rectangle is far less so. The CDL vacuum filter tank is round and pretty beefy so it resists bending/warping quite well, but even so, it includes a gauge to keep track of vacuum level and a safety valve to prevent damage to the unit if the vacuum level is too great.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast