+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to MA

Default Moving to MA

Hello!

My family is moving to Massachusetts from Pennsylvania this summer and I am hoping that I can continue this fun hobby after we move but I'm concerned about where I'm allowed to tap. Here in PA, I have plenty of trees to tap right in our neighborhood on land owned by our HOA.

However, we're learning about the joys of MA wetlands and how many houses have wetlands on the property. I know you can't build on wetlands without permission but are you prohibited from tapping those trees as well? For example, one house we're seeing backs up on a small wetland conservation area so some of the maple trees might be on the property but in wetland area. Then there's a huge area next to it that's not listed as wetlands but is empty forest and I can't figure out who might own it. Of course I'm always happy to ask any future neighbors if I can tap their trees but I don't want to get myself or them in trouble by tapping trees I'm not allowed to touch.

Is there a site where I can find out more about regulations and guidelines? Right now we're focusing on homes in Middlesex and Essex counties and my Google-Fu is not bringing up anything that is useful, any help that can be sent my way would be appreciated so I can continue making syrup for my family and friends!

Hey helptheold, 100% of the trees I tap would be considered in or on wetlands so if there are any restrictions I've just outed myself. I've never heard of any limitations as far as tapping trees, I think if you started building a sugar shack or digging post holes and someone found out they could cause you grief. You may want to find "right to farm" towns as they would probably understand that sugaring is an ag practice that should be encouraged. Let me know where you end up.
    2018 - 5 reds on buckets with cinder block arch
    2019 - 25 reds on drops to buckets
    2020 - 55 reds on drops to buckets
    2021 - 80 reds on drops to buckets
    2022 - 80 reds on drops to buckets
    2023 - 80 reds, 15 on gravity, Smoky Lake StarCat Evaporator

Hi Help.

As a general rule you can tap anywhere unless it's the State DCR land. The DCR has a great Forestry team you can call and talk to and they will walk the property with you as long as your the owner (or with the current owner's permission if your buying land). The link below has a map at the bottom with names and contact info for each county's forester so give them a call with any questions. I've walked my uncle's land with Chris tagging sugar maples and talked with Tom about a specific property for sale and advice on what towns to look in for land with good maple tree quantities. Should be a good place to start any googling.

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/service-forestry
    2024 - Starting with the 25 then more late Feb.
    2023 - 25 taps on 11 trees to focus on the process. 9 Gallons and lots of sugar sand. 35 people over for breakfast in April
    2022 - 8 x 14 sugarhouse and a steam bottler. 50 buckets! 9 Gallons syrup and 4 pounds of sugar
    2021 - 20 x 30 divided pan on a Mason arch, 34 taps and 8 gallons for family and friends to judge. Dad hooked as well.
    2020 - 2 taps, 1/2 pint on a turkey fryer, About 3/4 pint syrup in two weeks - Proof of concept!

Quote Originally Posted by helptheold View Post
    My family is moving to Massachusetts from Pennsylvania this summer
    First, let me offer my condolences.

I can't stand this State...gets worse every year. But that's a whole different topic.....

If you truly want to be able to continue the hobby, I would be sure to just buy a home with land and your own maples. DCR land, Trustees of the Reservation land, State parks and state forest, town parks, etc...will all be off limits to tapping. Relying on the neighbors comes with all kinds of problems....what if they change their mind? Or sell?
    Last edited by bigschuss; 03-06-2021 at 06:44 AM.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

Welcome to the Commonwealth! Here's a handy site for finding out who the property owner is, for any parcel of land in MA. Just get permission from the landowner. Public land or conservation land can be more problematic, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Dave

https://massgis.maps.arcgis.com/apps...1676ad9fc56ae9
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

Quote Originally Posted by Biz View Post
    Welcome to the Commonwealth! Here's a handy site for finding out who the property owner is, for any parcel of land in MA. Just get permission from the landowner. Public land or conservation land can be more problematic, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Dave

This is great, thanks for posting!

GO
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

I would echo Bigshuss, If I could go back in time I would have bought a place with its own trees. I now tap about 50, only one is one my property. It has worked out well and the neighbors are great but as was noted you never know what will happen in the future. They can sell or worse want to get into the hobby themselves. I also switched to tubing on most of my taps this year everyone was fine with it but I have to take it all down at the end of the season something I would not do if it was my own. Just something to think about. If you can find the right place with the trees etc I'd lean in that direction. If you cant find it in Mass we are always looking for more tax payers in NH. Good luck!

19x48 mini pro oil fired, Nano R/O, CDL Vacuum Press,Mountain Maple Vacuum setup
    6x12 sugar house off back of shed
    2024-103 Taps Mostly Sugars, Dozen Reds
    "The days are long, but the years are short"

Thank you so much everyone! Given that buying a house is a cutthroat business these days, I have no idea where we'll end up and getting land with our own trees is low on the need list (good schools, space for all of us, and commuter rail access is at the top). But it's good to know that tapping on wetlands (with permission if needed) is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Stack View Post
    Hi Help.

As a general rule you can tap anywhere unless it's the State DCR land. The DCR has a great Forestry team you can call and talk to and they will walk the property with you as long as your the owner (or with the current owner's permission if your buying land). The link below has a map at the bottom with names and contact info for each county's forester so give them a call with any questions. I've walked my uncle's land with Chris tagging sugar maples and talked with Tom about a specific property for sale and advice on what towns to look in for land with good maple tree quantities. Should be a good place to start any googling.

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/service-forestry
    That's so helpful, thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Biz View Post

Dave

I was looking for something like that, thank you!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast