+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving to MA

Quote Originally Posted by bigschuss View Post
    First, let me offer my condolences.

I can't stand this State...gets worse every year. But that's a whole different topic.....

If you truly want to be able to continue the hobby, I would be sure to just buy a home with land and your own maples. DCR land, Trustees of the Reservation land, State parks and state forest, town parks, etc...will all be off limits to tapping. Relying on the neighbors comes with all kinds of problems....what if they change their mind? Or sell?
    LOL trust me, whatever problems there are in MA, PA is much worse! The area we live in is beautiful but has so many problems, so thrilled my husband got this job in Boston (which we know well). We're hoping to get a house with land but the housing market is cutthroat right now and we have higher priorities than trees. Bummer for me but education for our kids has to come first right now.

Quote Originally Posted by helptheold View Post
    LOL trust me, whatever problems there are in MA, PA is much worse! The area we live in is beautiful but has so many problems, so thrilled my husband got this job in Boston (which we know well). We're hoping to get a house with land but the housing market is cutthroat right now and we have higher priorities than trees. Bummer for me but education for our kids has to come first right now.
    Understood. We live at just about the extreme opposite end of the state...quite near the border or VT and NY. Hope you can find a home that will allow you to pursue this great hobby.

The housing market is indeed insane right now, even out here in the sticks. Our small town is about 700, not a single traffic signal, and we have exactly one town hall, one church, one stop sign, and a general store....and lots of trees. All summer long every Saturday and Sunday morning our general store became crowded with out of towners and their realtors grabbing a coffee before heading out to look for homes and land. We had 3 unsolicited offers for our home...people driving up our driveway and making an offer. It was surreal.

Best of luck with your move.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

When I lived in the eastern part of the state the Fitchburg LIne ran through the orchard behind our house. That was 50 years ago but the memories of the Budd liners zipping by on their way to the city is still fresh in my mind. This line has recently been rebuilt back to a double track and may be one to look at as far as living close to it,the further west the better. Even out here(6 miles from the VT. border) housing is nuts! If your children's education is a top priority, then consider home schooling,you won't have to deal with the insanity going on right now in the schools and you'll never regret it. I'll attach a train line map.
    All the best.
    https://cdn.mbta.com/sites/default/f...essible-v2.pdf

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12