+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 30 gallon brute trash cans?

Default 30 gallon brute trash cans?

Can I use these for raw sap storage?
    Their website claims they are food safe but I'm wondering does that mean they won't leach anything out of them when liquid is put in them?
    Last edited by Hunt4sap; 03-04-2021 at 02:52 PM.

I think you would be much better off using something like a drum with wide screw on lid.... https://www.lexingtoncontainercompan...e-Barrels.html
    They are tough... Lids will seal up water-tight, so you could actually roll them around with sap in them if you want..

I have a local spot that sells them for $25 each... that had olives in them... or I use IBC totes that had fruit juices... Look around for a used barrel dealer in your area..

Many people do (myself included). But many people also frown on it, because of the look of sap in a "trash can". So yeah, safe, but could be a perception issue?

Gabe
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps
    All on buckets

Its been a while, but last time I checked Brute made both non food safe containers, and food safe containers. If I remember right there are material data safety sheets for each type and reading them and understanding what you're getting is important. Getting the food safe ones (color coded I think)(white?) may be both you knowing which ones to order, and the person selling them to you knowing which ones to give you.
    If you just go buy a garbage can at the store, chances are it may not be what you're looking for. And the store people might not know the difference between food grade and non food grade.
    Hey, I know that the above is a lot of caveat emptor (buyer beware) but its still true.
    Good luck!

Yes they are white

Quote Originally Posted by wmick View Post
    I think you would be much better off using something like a drum with wide screw on lid.... https://www.lexingtoncontainercompan...e-Barrels.html
    They are tough... Lids will seal up water-tight, so you could actually roll them around with sap in them if you want..

I have a local spot that sells them for $25 each... that had olives in them... or I use IBC totes that had fruit juices... Look around for a used barrel dealer in your area..
    Wish I had somewhere "local" closest place is almost 3 hrs away and my only free time like that(6hrs round trip) is weekend and I have to make syrup then...
    That's why I'm thinking of a way to hold sap in larger container which I can then run a ro on overnight that's more than 5 gallon bucket s. ( My buckets are food grade left over from grocery store baking department)
    I think the "rubbermaid white brute" 32 gallon would work for my limited taps b/c they say "food grade" but are they considered food grade like for dry type foods and if I put a liquid in them they possibly leach residual chemicals? ( Not heating them in any way and they would not be in direct sunlight...

Check the bottom of your containers, both the Brute, your buckets, etc. There should be a triangle symbol on them molded into the plastic. The most common food grade symbol will be a number 2 in the triangle and HDPE below that. HDPE ( High Density Polyethylene) is the most common food grade plastic which is less likely to leach into liquids due to it's high density structure.

Here's a guide on food safe plastic:
    https://www.wikihow.com/Identify-Food-Grade-Buckets
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Backyard hobby syrup maker on about 12 trees

Look for NSF stamped on the can somewhere. It's on more then just white cans.
    https://www.rubbermaidcommercial.com...u=FG263256GRAY
    Last edited by anchorhd; 03-05-2021 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anchorhd View Post
    Look for NSF stamped on the can somewhere. It's on more then just white cans.
    https://www.rubbermaidcommercial.com...u=FG263256GRAY
    The gray brute cans are a number four in the triangle but they do show NSF stamped on them?

+ Reply to Thread