+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vacuum...minimum number of taps

Default Vacuum...minimum number of taps

Good morning,

As i get older, I am looking to reduce and ultimately move away from buckets. We currently have over 200 taps on buckets and 600 on tubing. I have a small sugarbush in the back of my property with some mature maples and a few mixed red maples. I figure roughly 100 taps or so.The total distance for the proposed mainline from the bush to the road is about 600 feet. It slopes away from the road and sugarhouse but the elevation difference is only about 7 feet or so. I am pretty sure that cold be overcome with a sap ladder?
    My specific questions is at what point does vacuum become unrealistic? Or better said, is 100 taps on vacuum worth the expense? I am certainly willing to put the effort in to install the mainline and taps. And spend the money for the vacuum pump and accessories, but would like to know if there is a cost benefit? I recognize the variables from one lot to another but just looking for some guidance and expertise.

I hope I have provided enough information to start the conversation. Thanks in advance for your input.

Happy Sugaring

Ed
    5th generation sugar maker
    700 +- taps
    2008 Leader 2.5 x 8 drop flue with air tight front/blower
    16 x 32 Leader gas finisher
    Wes Fab 7" Filter Press
    Water Jacketed Canning Tank 20 gallons capacity
    475 gallon Stainless head tank
    600 gallon raw sap bulk tank
    MES 300gl per hr RO
    Marcland Auto Draw
    Kubota XG 850 sap Hauler
    Kubota M5900 4x4 Tractor with loader

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6ZaySVbGEtcW2b5U9

Visit us at http://fletcher-farm.com/

Ed,

Ill do my best to tackle this one from a money standpoint as I think that is where you are coming from. If you had 600 taps on good vacuum for the year you could generalize about 6 pounds per tap (obviously sanitation and tapping practices would need to be well done because you can throw production in the ocean if you are not getting good holes and keeping the vacuum high). Assuming average bulk market pricing of $2.15 per pound you would make $7,740 of income from those 600 taps (600 times 6 times 2.15). There are way to many variable here to guarantee any numbers that is what the income potential could be per year.

The one constant I can tell you is vacuum pumps when managed properly are the only this that pays for themselves in terms of income (yes RO's to have a return on investment but that is from saving fuel not producing more syrup). A proper vacuum pump will always pay for itself.

Hope this helps.

+ Reply to Thread