+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow Start to 2021 - why?

Angry Slow Start to 2021 - why?

Hey guys, first post in a long time. Tapped here in eastern CT on February 15. Mostly reds and a few sugars, about 75 taps out this year. I have been checking daily and collecting every 4-5 days. So far only 40 gallons collected! And all about 1% which is normal for me, but man, where is the sap???

Had some weird temperature days - a few really cold nights intermixed with some random warm days. Maybe that's it?

What are you guys seeing? Am I the only one?

Granted I haven't tapped in 3 years so I don't remember what's "normal" for my sugarbush!

I bought an RO bucket and have barely been able to use it yet!

(I am using 5/16 maxflow spouts and drop lines into buckets btw)

I think it's just the weather, the trees haven't really thawed out yet. Next week looks promising to help get the sap flowing.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

i,m up in Litchfield county and its the same here, only have gotten like 70 gallons so far, just a wacky year for the weather but i beleive we'll see some big runs coming

I am in Tolland county, and trust me it is about the same. I have no sugars only silver and red. I'm also at about 1%.

I have a total of 16 legit taps' and I also tapped 2/15+16th, and I have yet to hit 20 gallons. going to be a sad maple year I feel.

I'm going to freeze a couple quarts each day and throw it into my 2 sad buckets of 1%ish to try and make it through next week's hear wave and hope March gets cold again.
    2020 - 1st year - 14 taps 1 Gallon Jugs + 4x 5-Gallon Buckets + Propane Grill + lots of headaches
    2021 - 2nd year - 19 Taps (and some free sap from a friend in the same town!) 145 or so OZ
    2022 - 3rd year - 46 taps (3 at home, 2 at neighbors, 38 at friends, and 3 at work) added ROBucket RB10, and Silver Creek 18x34x6 Divided Maple Syrup Pan w/warming Pan+Valve+Thermometer 6 Gallons 6 OZ!
    2023 And we grow some more... Starting with OldPostMaple.com!

Quote Originally Posted by Cote_in_Colchester View Post
    Hey guys, first post in a long time. Tapped here in eastern CT on February 15. Mostly reds and a few sugars, about 75 taps out this year. I have been checking daily and collecting every 4-5 days. So far only 40 gallons collected! And all about 1% which is normal for me, but man, where is the sap???

Had some weird temperature days - a few really cold nights intermixed with some random warm days. Maybe that's it?

What are you guys seeing? Am I the only one?

Granted I haven't tapped in 3 years so I don't remember what's "normal" for my sugarbush!

I bought an RO bucket and have barely been able to use it yet!

(I am using 5/16 maxflow spouts and drop lines into buckets btw)
    Sap is not flowing well this year.

Today seemed to have the best all around flow of the year for me. I have a 5/16" run with 7 taps ( high quality sugars ) on it and a gauge at the top of it this year measuring low pressure. Today was my highest reading so far this year on it with 11 inches of mercury and that seems to hold well into the freeze of the night. The writing about vacuum is definitely on the wall for me this year. Decent sap flow today was a bit of a surprise considering temps and wind.

If your tapping Reds with drops to buckets it can be hard to do well with them. They never even in a good season seem to run as well for me. I imagine they need some vacuum encouragement. However I put in 4 taps with drops on Reds today and to my surprise they ran fairly well. Almost looked like they were sugar maples dripping away on a good day.

I have a feeling we will see some good sap flow at least the first part of next week, even with the warm up and nights not falling below 32. Hopefully the tap killers won't come out by the end of the week.
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

Favorite Tree: Sugar Maple
    Most Hated Animal: Sap Sucker
    Most Loved Animal: Devon Rex Cat
    Favorite Kingpin: Bruce Bascom
    40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.
    1 Girlfriend that gives away all my syrup to her friends.

Mother nature can be fickle for sure.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I originally tapped ten reds two weeks ago. A week ago, I tapped an additional ten.

All-in-all I have collected 7 gallons of sap....TOTAL.

Echoing what others have said here, I am hoping for a good run next week when it warms up...I am also hoping that it doesn't get warm enough for the buds to pop and end the season.

A lot of my trees get a lot of afternoon sun. We've collected probably 240 gallons of sap from 60ish taps. That's probably 40% of season total. Hoping for one giant run next week.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

Here in ind. I have 106 taps on 3/16 lines on sureflow vacuum. All soft maple , all smaller trees, they are at 1 1/2 % and have been running well. I also have 20 taps on large sugar maples, on buckets, they have barely started. Not a bad thing as it has given time to work the bugs out before I get flooded with syrup. Had a reaction to my second shot so that slowed me down. Back to normal now so ready for the rush when and if it comes.

This week are jumping from day/night temps 39/27 Monday (perfect) to 55/28, 52/39, 59/48, 61/37!!

I am worried the trees will go straight from frozen to budding lol!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast