+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Enlarging bucket holes

Default Enlarging bucket holes

Bucket holes are around 3/8", for the wire hooks of a 7/16" tap. I'm using shark-fin 5/16" taps which need a 5/8" hole or bigger. The buckets have a metal grommet in the existing holes, to protect the aluminum bucket edge from wearing. I fabri-cobbled some hooks and put them on the spout before hammering in, but it lets the bucket sit too far forward of the spout & some of my drips are going to miss the bucket.

Have you guys opened these holes and sat the aluminum directly on 5/16" spout body (no grommet). It seems like it would hole up OK, with the better contact area compared to the wire hanger? Or am I asking for egg shaped holes by the end of this season?

Maybe put a rubber grommet in the hole to protect the aluminum? Metal grommets won't work with the larger hole and lip in the buckets.

Tapped and hung some buckets last night with my 9 and 6 year old boys, for the first time. It was a blast.

I would not try to enlarge the hole. Would create a second hole two inches or so over. Some of my older buckets have multiple holes. Also, I would punch the hole if possible rather than drilling, this might not be easy for you to do, but drills generally create triangular holes in sheet metal, punches create a much cleaner hole. I don't have a good edge thickening idea off the top of my head. The rubber grommet sounds better than nothing.

Pete
    2017- 17 taps, 3 gallons, stove-top insanity
    2018- 36 taps, 10 gallons, Oil tank evaporator
    2019- 24 taps, 7 gallons
    2020- 27 taps, 5.75 gallons
    2021- 42 taps, 8 gallons
    2022- 48 taps, 8.5 gallons
    2023- 50 taps, 15 gallons
    2024- 46 taps, 9.5 gallons

Oil Tank Evaporator build

Tapped 10 aluminum and 10 plastic buckets yesterday like that by putting the spiles through the bucket into the tree. Kinda a pain tapping the spiles on in with the hammer,but buckets won’t fly off in the wind,then just tip the bucket to either 3 or 9 o’clock to empty it
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

+ Reply to Thread