+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Will the addiction ever be satisfied??

I'll chime in as well....I wasn't going to respond because i'm just a backwoods mapler doing this for personal consumption. Obviously, the desire and dream of being a big producer is there but just not in the cards for me at this point. I started taping trees in my parents yard before I was a teenager and learned from books. I boiled it down on my moms cook stove and the wood stove in the house, maybe got a pint of syrup a year in those early days. I picked it back up in my late teens using a turkey fryer and whatever else I could get my hands on. Once my boys got a little older I decided we needed something to do in the spring and acquired a 2x3 flat pan and welded my own arch up and we went from a dozen taps making a couple gallons of syrup to running about 60 taps on gravity and 17 gallons of syrup.

I've taken the last couple years off and recently bought 90 acres full of Red Maple and looking to upgrade to a larger drop flu pan next for next year. The icing on the cake come yesterday when my oldest son, hes 21 now, called and asked if he could borrow the old 2x3 because him and his buddy are taping trees this year. I gave him some pointers and said have it.....The torch has been passed and my job as a father has come to fruition, so to speak. It's the little things in life that make us get out of bed every morning.

I would've liked to have been there to see the smile on your face after that phone call. We all hope and wait for those days.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Enjoy that new 90 acres and from the sounds of it ya got a couple spare hands to help if you need it.
    225 taps 180 on vac 45 on natural gravity lines.
    2x6 drop flue with auto draw.
    Home built 3 x400gpd ro
    2017 kubota M7060hdcc12
    2019 can am defender

2017- first year 80 taps 22x36 home made arch and pan.

With what is looking like a short season weather wise I’ve decided to use the time to plan for next year. Got up to 160+ Trees tapped this year. A new high for me. I’m thinking 300-350 next year. Got a few 1000l holding tanks on the way plus what I already have. started cleaning trails to make life easier next year. Going to try and put most if not all on vacuum. Also going to add some sort of ro into the mix.
    225 taps 180 on vac 45 on natural gravity lines.
    2x6 drop flue with auto draw.
    Home built 3 x400gpd ro
    2017 kubota M7060hdcc12
    2019 can am defender

2017- first year 80 taps 22x36 home made arch and pan.

Quote Originally Posted by HannahL View Post
    I'll chime in as well....I wasn't going to respond because i'm just a backwoods mapler doing this for personal consumption. Obviously, the desire and dream of being a big producer is there but just not in the cards for me at this point. I started taping trees in my parents yard before I was a teenager and learned from books. I boiled it down on my moms cook stove and the wood stove in the house, maybe got a pint of syrup a year in those early days. I picked it back up in my late teens using a turkey fryer and whatever else I could get my hands on. Once my boys got a little older I decided we needed something to do in the spring and acquired a 2x3 flat pan and welded my own arch up and we went from a dozen taps making a couple gallons of syrup to running about 60 taps on gravity and 17 gallons of syrup.

I've taken the last couple years off and recently bought 90 acres full of Red Maple and looking to upgrade to a larger drop flu pan next for next year. The icing on the cake come yesterday when my oldest son, hes 21 now, called and asked if he could borrow the old 2x3 because him and his buddy are taping trees this year. I gave him some pointers and said have it.....The torch has been passed and my job as a father has come to fruition, so to speak. It's the little things in life that make us get out of bed every morning.
    That is so cool! Not sure that day will come in my family, but hoping!
    Have fun making syrup with him.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123