+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rookie maple syruper

Default Rookie maple syruper

I already posted this message in my regional forum, but I thought I would introduce myself here as well
    Hello, new to the forum here. This is my first year at trying the maple syrup. My sugar bush is in northern ontario. I built a small A frame shanty out of 2x4s and vapor barrier this winter to keep my boil out of the elements. Im planning on tapping 60 trees (maybe more, lol). I have been packing the trail down all winter so it should be fairly easy to access the trees. and I bought a 2x3 evaporator from CDL with a homemade stove under it.
    The property is not accessible by vehicle in the winter so I have been working on sledding everything in with my snowmobile. I still have to tow in the stove, but I welded flatbars on the bottom of the legs to act as skiis so I can pull it in. Then it will be another trip to bring in all the fire brick.
    I've been scanning through the forums, and wow lots of information. I've come to the right place. I'll post some pics of my setup on the weekend once I get everything out there.
    Cheers

Welcome. Glad to have someone new joining the maple world! I started small and have grown a lot. It's part of the journey!
    Jake
    smoky lake 2x6 drop flue SSR on homemade arch
    235 taps on 2 gast 1550s and lappiere releasers
    24x12 sugar house
    2019 Kubota L2501 work horse

Good luck, Brien....I’m in rookie year as well, about 150 tapped, mostly on a small vac system that’s solar run. We have a small shack, a hobby RO (The RO Bucket’s RB45), a Lapierre Waterloo Small Lp evaporator and a homemade vacuum filter. It will be interesting!! Have fun getting everything set up! Ellen

Welcome to the oh so addictive world of syrup making. I started out like you outside with tarps and a 2x4 frame over the pans. After the first season I was hooked and built the sugar shack for the following season. Plan on climbing up to the 150 mark this year maybe even 200 if I can find the time to get em in. This will be my fifth season and although I got it pretty figured out now I’m always learning new things and playing around with something. Trader has provided me with an endless amount of knowledge and advise from so many of the fine folks from all parts and has to be the best place to chat or research about syrup production. Have fun with it and happy sapping
    225 taps 180 on vac 45 on natural gravity lines.
    2x6 drop flue with auto draw.
    Home built 3 x400gpd ro
    2017 kubota M7060hdcc12
    2019 can am defender

2017- first year 80 taps 22x36 home made arch and pan.

Welcome Brien. After reading about what you have to do to get equipment out to your shack, I won't complain about having to carry a couple of things down to mine.
    2018 - 5 reds on buckets with cinder block arch
    2019 - 25 reds on drops to buckets
    2020 - 55 reds on drops to buckets
    2021 - 80 reds on drops to buckets
    2022 - 80 reds on drops to buckets
    2023 - 80 reds, 15 on gravity, Smoky Lake StarCat Evaporator

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Plaid View Post
    Welcome Brien. After reading about what you have to do to get equipment out to your shack, I won't complain about having to carry a couple of things down to mine.
    lol, I definitely have a bit of a challenge, but its something to do as well. I'm taking the family and we are going to make a day of it tomorrow, roast some hotdogs and marshmellows over a campfire.

Good luck, let us know how it goes! We’re still waiting for it to run here in NE VT. Looks like Wednesday maybe?

Well I was able to get most of the things out to my property. It was pretty cold saturday morning around-20C. I put my phone in my front pocket when I was snowmobiling and it froze. So no pictures. I also had to bring my evaporator pan back into town because I could not get the protective wrap off of the Stainless Steel, It kept ripping because of the cold. So I sledded it back and within a few hours in the house it peeled off easily. I also put a temporary cover over the stove so I could light it to bake the high heat paint on and to burn off anything on the inside.

I’m thinking this could be a great reality show....The things we do!

I think your right, lol. My wife thinks I'm crazy. She said the other day, "we don't even eat that much maple syrup". I told her it doesn't have to make sense, its a hobby!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast