+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie, homemade arch. Would appreciate advise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigrod View Post
    There was talk in the link you sent about a quick mid-week boil. Just wondering what the purpose is for that. Maybe kill off any potential bacteria, etc and by doing this it would extend the shelf life of the semi-sweet left in the pan? It makes sense to me. I have a couple buddies near my sugarbush that will be checking bags for me mid-week, I suppose they could fire things up briefly if needed.
    Yep, that's it exactly. Just make sure if they fire it up they know to add a few gallons of fresh sap on the sap end, otherwise you might come back to a charred sticky mess. If it's going to be a warm week - too warm for the sap to run, I guess your only options are draining the pan or adding some water.

Keep in mind as you read that thread that I'm almost as much a newbie as you are. I have been syruping for five years, but this is my first year on a real divided pan. So take any of my thoughts on boiling on a divided pan with a big grain of salt. We are in the same boat though, with the sugarbush so far from home. So any insight we gather should be helpful for both of us.

What are your thoughts on leaving sweet in the pan with the sight glass installed? It’s pretty thick glass and open on top, not sure if it freezes how the glass would hold up. I’m guessing a quick call to Smoky Lake would answer that.
    Maybe someone else knows - I don't know what a sight glass in a pan is.

GO
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

The last pic i posted was of the sight glass. Supposedly gives a clearer view of the level of sap in the pan as you are not looking through steam to figure it out. Maybe a gadget but i thought at the very least a fun conversation piece when visitors stop by the sugar shack. I envision syruping kind of like the night before opening gun deer season where if you're not cooking you will be visiting other sugar shacks.

2020: Decided I needed a new hobby, design and build an arch.
    2021: 35 taps on bags, 5 gallons finished syrup.
    2022: 75 taps on bags, 8 gallons finished syrup.
    2023: 85 taps on bags, 15 gallons finished syrup.

Sight Glass looks really cool... I was picturing something small that would get dirty and opaque... Yours looks like it should work really well. Even with a float box, I see that as being a nice quick visual to keep an eye on things..... With a raging boil going on, it is almost impossible to see exactly where the sap depth is.... I will be interested to hear how it works for you....

Quote Originally Posted by wmick View Post
    I second the float box suggestion.. Lots to look after without monitoring and adding sap.... I built my own... Started out with a small 1/2" float-valve from livestock waterers... Turned out to be too small to keep up, when things got roaring... so now I use one of these. https://www.cdivalve.com/products/de...b-float-valves It works good. Playing around with different float shapes... Most recently, using a flat tupperware container... it is working well.
    Keep the fitting/port between the float box and the pan fairly large as well... it might need to flow a lot of sap in a hurry, and there is basically no head pressure there... Learned from my mistakes.
    If you use the valve linked in the post above, that valve says nothing that would indicate it is lead free. Looking at your concrete block pl;atform you made, be careful about it getting out of level. As the frost comes out of the ground you might need to adjust for level, it should be at most 1/8" off or less. Best would be much closer to perfectly level. If you have buddies near the camp, use them. They can collect the sap, and put it in a clean food grade container, banked in snow. About every 3 days they should fire it up and bring it to a boil. If the temperature gets to the mid 40's then every 2 days, if to 50+ every day will be needed. Building a way to add sap as needed is best, but it doesn't need to be a float box/valve. You could make a warming tank with a lead free drain valve. Set it on top of the pan you made, at one end, the end opposite the draw off (3 sections) then adjust that valve to add a slow steady flow to match the evaporation rate. Then when a thermometer (a good digital maybe) says the syrup at the draw off is 7.3F above the boiling point of water, draw off some very slowly. To get that temperature, boil water until it at a rolling boil and get that temperature, add 7.3F and that's the correct draw off temperature. Be aware, if weather conditions are changing, the boiling point will change with it.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Good call on the frost and leveling, It's within 0.125" now but I'm sure frost will move that. I'll have to check it before every boil.

Its kind of hard to see but in the first batch of pics I posted I did make a warming pan that's sitting on top of the main pan in the back. I have a stainless valve for it that I'll use to trickle in sap. In hindsight I'm not sure how well the warming pan will work there as to how much heat it will get but its what I have for this year. I also put a thermometer next to the sight glass and draw off valve.

Wood fired- once you get it going, and super hot, it will take a looooooong time for it to stop boiling. I don't feel comfortable walking away for at least an hour after feeding it for the last time, and all that boiling means more evaporating, so make sure you stop feeding it long before you run out of sap!
    2017 - 20ish taps on buckets, boiling outside in two baking pans
    2018 - 70+ taps, 14-buckets, 50+ on tubing, homemade arch from oil tank in my barn, 17 gal syrup
    2019 - same set up, 20 gal syrup
    2020 - less taps, short season, but RO kit was fantastic! 6 gal syrup and a maple cat!
    2021/22/23 - expanded into the neighbors yards! 50 taps on buckets and 40 taps on tubing

Thanks for all of the suggestions and tips. Planning on tapping tomorrow and running a test fire with water in the morning. Assuming my water thaws out, lol

Quote Originally Posted by therealtreehugger View Post
    Wood fired- once you get it going, and super hot, it will take a looooooong time for it to stop boiling. I don't feel comfortable walking away for at least an hour after feeding it for the last time, and all that boiling means more evaporating, so make sure you stop feeding it long before you run out of sap!
    Totally agree. I often stop a boil in afternoon and restart the next day. I stop firing round 3pm nd stay there until about 5pm. By that point firebox is empty and all coals are in the ash pan. Even so, latent heat from fore brick and the coals evaporates off about 5gal of sap overnight.
    2023 - 130 taps, 90L from 4,000L as of mid March
    2021 - 84 taps, 50L from 2100L
    2020 - 100 taps on buckets, 21L syrup from 2700L so far (FEB 26-Mar 13) and then the pandemic hit! End of our season!
    2019 - 62 taps on buckets, 95L syrop from 3215L sap
    2018 - 62 taps, collecting by hand, 90L syrop from 3200L sap
    2017 - Lapierre Waterloo Small mini pro with 40 taps
    2014 - 2016 40 taps making one or two batches on a 2x6 flat pan over an open arch as it would have been done in 1900

Just an update on the evaporator and pan I built this winter. My first time ever boiling sap this past weekend and I believe it was a success. Saturday with temps in the upper 40’s and protected from a big south wind I was doing a solid 10 gallons an hour, probably closer to 12 in the last hour of cooking.

Sunday was much cooler and the wind out of the north where I’m not protected from. I was boiling off around 8 gallons an hour. So I learned at the least I need a tarp or something on the north side of my sugar shack!

Really liked the sight glass for maintaining sap depth using a valve on the warming pan to trickle sap in.

In all I boiled down 80 gallons of sap this past weekend. The third channel in my pan on the drawoff side had color and had a nice sweet taste to it. Temperature at drawoff did not go above 212. How many more gallons of sap do you think I’ll need to run in order to sweeten the pan? Pan is roughly 40” x 20”.

It usually takes 100 gallons for me to sweeten my 2 x 4 pans.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast