+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vent?

Default Vent?

I brought this question to a new thread as I wasn't getting any responses.

I did my first boil yesterday with the new float box and raised rear pan. It went well except for one issue. My new float box is between the rear and front pan, the inlet to the float box is as high as I can go but the sap is higher than the inlet. I noticed once in a while the float was not working due to what I believe was vapor lock. I have a ball float and Roberts Valve. Can I install a "T" before the float box and vent it above the sap level? Thanks!

Float Box.jpg
    2014 6 Taps Block Arch and momas canning pot, 3 gallons YIKES

2019 100 taps and a new adventure with a home built arch.

2020 90 taps, my wife and I and a Bucket RO...

2021 112 taps and a modified Bucket RO.

2022 120 taps, modified Bucket RO a Wife, Son and Springer

You may have discovered why float boxes are typically attached to the pans by straight, very short lengths (about 3-4") of larger diameter pipe (1.5" range). I would recommend a similar approach. My guess is that the smaller diameter piping with bends and valves needs a greater amount of head differential between the pans. The approach stated above takes most of the head losses out of the system.

I don't think a T would help.
    Last edited by TapTapTap; 03-05-2021 at 04:54 AM.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

While I don't doubt that I could benefit from larger piping, and I understand the head pressure idea, I am still wondering why it works until I get a strong boil in the rear pan. It usually happens right before I need to draw off. That's when i notice the levels are low...

I plan on changing to 3/4 tri clover next year.

I am not saying you are wrong by any means. Thanks for the tip!

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Very hard to tell from the photo, but it appears that the outlet is 3/4" but it is necked down to 1/2". That might exacerbate the problem somewhat.

Most of the rigs we've used of late (3' x 10' or larger) have 1 1/2 to 2" piping, and these can STILL get clogged up, most often from flakes of niter. There is a drain in the bottom of the floatbox that we will open periodically to flush the box/piping of any accumulated sediment.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I'm also thinking that the foaming in the syrup pan creates a little back pressure on the connection to the pan. The larger pipes don't get overwhelmed by the foaming.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Yes Doc., 1/2"

TapTapTap, I don't think the syrup pan foam is an issue. The float box is not filling on a hard back pan boil.

I try to build everything I can but I guess trying to save money will cost me money.

Building your own is not the problem, design and sizes are the problem. If you go to Tri-Clover next year, use at least 1" if not 1.5". Mine is 1.5" and has never plugged, even when I've reversed in the syrup pan, so the incoming travels thru 2 90's and over 3' of pipe.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Building your own is not the problem, design and sizes are the problem. If you go to Tri-Clover next year, use at least 1" if not 1.5". Mine is 1.5" and has never plugged, even when I've reversed in the syrup pan, so the incoming travels thru 2 90's and over 3' of pipe.
    I've got 3/4 on my SL syrup pan...

I had a set-up very much like yours... Pipe from the front of the flu pan to the back of the syrup pan..... (I think it was a 1/2" or 3/4" hose from barb to barb. I ran into troubles with it starving the syrup pan, simply because that spot at the front of the flu pan, would get into a raging boil.. (hottest spot in the pan) That turbulence at the outlet seemed to prevent sap from flowing out... I tried adding a deflector plate around the outlet to settle things down, but it didnt work... Eventually I figured out I needed to move that outlet a little further towards the back of the flu pan, where it doesn't boil as hard... I upped the size to 1-1/4" and added a float box at the same time... Have not had a problem since....

Bigger fittings and pipe will help considerably.... There is just no head pressure to push sap through those little pipes, even when brand new... and only gets worse when you start to get some niter buildup etc... Need to make it as easy as possible for fluid to move without any restriction.

See if you can find a Dairy equipment dealer near you.... Might be able to salvage some used fittings and pipes from his stainless scrap bin...

Good luck
    Last edited by wmick; 03-05-2021 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wmick View Post
    I had a set-up very much like yours... Pipe from the front of the flu pan to the back of the syrup pan..... (I think it was a 1/2" or 3/4" hose from barb to barb. I ran into troubles with it starving the syrup pan, simply because that spot at the front of the flu pan, would get into a raging boil.. (hottest spot in the pan) That turbulence at the outlet seemed to prevent sap from flowing out... I tried adding a deflector plate around the outlet to settle things down, but it didnt work... Eventually I figured out I needed to move that outlet a little further towards the back of the flu pan, where it doesn't boil as hard... I upped the size to 1-1/4" and added a float box at the same time... Have not had a problem since....

Bigger fittings and pipe will help considerably.... There is just no head pressure to push sap through those little pipes, even when brand new... and only gets worse when you start to get some niter buildup etc... Need to make it as easy as possible for fluid to move without any restriction.

See if you can find a Dairy equipment dealer near you.... Might be able to salvage some used fittings and pipes from his stainless scrap bin...

Good luck
    Thats my exact issue. I will see if I can get some larger pipe on it this year. Nothing scarier than drawing off without a feed in.

Thanks everyone for their input!

+ Reply to Thread