+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sharkbite fittings leaking

Default sharkbite fittings leaking

Hi everyone-
    my sharkbite connections are leaking. I saw a vid where you supposed to put the horseshoe locks on first then the tube. Is this correct?
    Thanks in advance.

You don't need to put any "horseshoe lock" on. Sharkbite is simply "push to install"... Have a nice clean deburred end on your pipe... and simply shove it into the sharkbite fitting... Done.

I think maybe the horseshoe thing you are talking about is a removal tool... to take fittings off.

The blue horseshoe things are called locks I think. The keep the part extended so the tube can't come out. I'm thinking I've just re-arranged my tubing too much which causes a leak and I moved a lot around re-organizing it. Also my needle valve was leaking. That thing is really difficult to get right.

watch this video... https://youtu.be/N4w2q8Ust7U
    they show horseshoe things to disassemble joints. you shouldn't be using anything except the fitting. If you think you've scored things up to make leaks, a little bit of "plumbers grease" might help to seal them up.
    ps. if they are "sharkbite"... and they are a safety lock of some sort... I'd throw them out.. Definitely don't install them prior to pipe.
    Last edited by wmick; 03-02-2021 at 05:51 PM.

FYI-These are the things I'm using.
    https://www.amazon.com/Locking-Conne.../dp/B07WYJ9S2C

Thanks.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

I don't think those clips are made for Sharkbite fittings. They're used in RO systems and/or John Guest fittings. With a Sharkbite fitting and the right size tubing, you cannot pull the tubing out of the fitting without a lot of effort and scoring of the tubing. There are metal teeth that bit in and keep the tubing in place, and rubber seals that keep it water-tite.

So are you using all Sharkbite parts or all John Guest parts or a mixture? Seems like just using maple tubing might be far simpler and cheaper.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Are they actually shark bite or are they a plastic fitting. I have had those locks on the plastic Watt brand fitting but never saw them on sharkbite, they lock the release rings and aren't really necessary.
    The only time I've had leaks in sharkbite brand was because the hose or pipe was not pushed fully into the fitting, they are a little harder to push in than most other brands.
    As mentioned, make certain the pipe going into the fitting has no flaws, scratches, burrs etc.
    Other brands I've had leaks do to bad o-rings right out of the package
    Last edited by Someclown; 03-03-2021 at 10:21 AM.
    2019 - Barrel evaporator 2 steam pans 44 taps 13 Liters syrup
    2020 - Barrel evaporator 2 steam pans 51 taps 21 Liters syrup
    2021- New homemade 2x3 evaporator and flat pan 80 drop lines to buckets
    2022- (•,•)1350L naturally ROd sap 44L syrup
    2023- "\_(°•°)_/" 1100L sap 30L syrup not accurate due to natural RO
    2024 { ';' }1862L sap 52L syrup 52 drop lines to buckets

They are sharkbite.
    Bought them at home depot and sharkbite brand. Everything I have is shark bite except the ro membranes/pump/filter.
    My Ro system is homemade with home ro parts.

Okay couple of thing while fiddling with it for hours.
    The sharkbites are good with blue rings. Insert tube then ring to keep it tight.
    If you remove a tube from any fitting cut it off. Under no circumstances do you put a tube in a fitting twice.
    I rearranged my setup several times and this was my main issue.
    2 of my membranes where leaking at the bottom-a little teflon tape fixed it. I had it running 100psi for 1/2 bucket and processed it in 10 min. 3:1 3 parts water to 1 part sugar.
    I need to melt more sap before I can continue my testing for brix as i was using 1/2 lukewarm water and sap. I want to see brix before and after in next test.
    Melting some buckets on my heater and stove.... slow going, but it something to do and know when it's not busy.
    Hope my info above helps someone else with a home made ro system with sharkbite fittings in the future.

Thanks everyone.

I did a Home Built RO this year with the John Guest Quick connects and 4 membranes.

I had terrifying nightmares of "sap on" day.

Had not a drop leak from anything ( quick connects or taped threads ) on my first RO the other day. A few small drops from my filter cap not on tightly enough but that is it.

This is the first drip free plumbing job of my life.

Sadly, my RO is now waiting patiently for more sap.

PS I have removed the quick connects and reattached about 10 times each so far. Hopefully I will get a few hundred more out of them before springing any leaks.

Having to cut the ends would sure make for a PITA.
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

Favorite Tree: Sugar Maple
    Most Hated Animal: Sap Sucker
    Most Loved Animal: Devon Rex Cat
    Favorite Kingpin: Bruce Bascom
    40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.
    1 Girlfriend that gives away all my syrup to her friends.

+ Reply to Thread