+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3\16 gravity trouble

Default 3\16 gravity trouble

Has anybody had trouble with lines getting vaporlocked ? Was working on lines Saturday and all were running, had bubbles moving clear to the top but some of the lines were not registering any vacuum. Started looking for leaks, some squirrel chews but mostly little slits at the tees and connectors . Went back Monday to finish working on leaks and the lines that didn't have vacuum on Saturday were not running at all. The lines that had vacuum that day were still holding that vacuum and the bubbles were moving, I wouldn't say that they were running hard. Walked the four lines that weren't running and found and fixed leaks, wouldn't run, checked the outlet of the lines and they were open, When I did fix a leak and cut the line, I didn't have sap running out like I did on Saturday. 3 of the lines that are running and three of the non running lines are basically identical, Same north facing slope , average 25 taps, same distance last tap to bottom of the line, new drops last year, new cv taps this year. These are mostly reds, I tell everybody I have the wrong trees on the wrong side of the hill. Also I jumped the gun and tapped the end of January. They were starting to drip and then we got a hard freeze for the next 3 weeks. So when troubleshooting is it pointless to do this unless the sun is out and your getting a good run ? Also, Those leaks at the tees , are they from freezing or my tubing tool? Thanks for any help, Ron

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Maintaining good vacuum is a skill that comes with experience. Finding leaks is very difficult if the sap is not running. What you refer to as "vapor lock" is actually what is generating the vacuum. If sap is not running in your lines, either the sap is not running from the trees, or, more likely, you have plugs in your lines. How old is the 3/16" tubing installation and how have you maintained it (cleaning or replacing tees).
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I have 6 laterals of 3/16 and last week 5 were running and one wasn't, it drove me nuts as I could not find leaks or blockages. I decided to just let it ride and Saturday it started and has actually been one of my good laterals. So be patient, sometimes a certain section of woods just isn't ready. I did notice there was pockets of sap just sitting static that made me think it didn't have leaks, because it hadn't drained. Also, check those tees closely, they will get locked with crud and it will be hard to see. It will lock up a whole line.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

I did drill a couple of new holes because of being tapped for 4 weeks, nothing ran out of them. The line is at the most 5 years old, the drops were replaced last year. End of season line cleaning has not happened. I did have some discolored sections of line that were replaced , but most of it looks clear. Partial plugs at tees's are the hardest to diagnose for me. Thanks, Ron

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Unlikely the tapholes are the problem. If nothing ran out of the new tapholes nothing will run out of the old tapholes. Either it is too cold or the run has finished and you have to wait for a recharge (freeze) and subsequent thaw.

If you've not cleaned or flushed the lines, there are probably plugs. Sap might run OK the first run, but then the biological material in the lines hydrate and swell, plugging any tees or unions in the lines. Hate to say it, but you'll likely be chasing them all season at this point. Yes...the plugs are very difficult to locate and remove.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Glad to hear its probably not from early tapping. In my defense, I had just picked up a new syrup pan from AA and it was calling my name. The one thing I really like about maple is that it usually takes place when it's too crappy to do anything else then when spring does come, it's over. We also have a dairy and beef herd with mainly spring calving so pulling taps and cleaning lines get moved down the priority list, will have to rethink that this spring. Thanks, Ron

brand new lines-I had to remove the furthest tap to get the sap to move. I put it back in-movement would stop. I see a ton of air in my tube and taps were flowing then it was plugged. I sucked for 1 min to get the sap moving but it wouldn't. Untapping the last tree in the line is the only thing that worked. Why is this?

Quote Originally Posted by tapdrinker View Post
    brand new lines-I had to remove the furthest tap to get the sap to move. I put it back in-movement would stop. I see a ton of air in my tube and taps were flowing then it was plugged. I sucked for 1 min to get the sap moving but it wouldn't. Untapping the last tree in the line is the only thing that worked. Why is this?
    Is it possible that your trees are just not producing today? Regardless of how much grade you drop for gravity vacuum, , ... the pressure from the trees should move some sap down the line. (Unless there is actually a blockage somewhere or restriction from a climb to make or ??) Taking the last tap out, likely just introduced a spot where air could get in, allowing the sap to run away. (like picking up a column of water in a drinking straw, with your finger over the end..... and removing your finger) Being your sap ran away when you opened it up.. would indicate that you don't have a blockage... So maybe the trees just aren't pumping today??.

Describe your system a little more...
    Last edited by wmick; 03-02-2021 at 03:06 PM.

The lines are gravity and drop about 8' over 100' into collection buckets. Taps are about 2-3' above the lines. 4 lines were moving just fine and one wasn't which made me think something is wrong with the line. I looked for wood in the lines-checked the taps to make sure they were running and 4 out of 5 were. It just wouldn't move through the line. If I sucked on the tube to drink the tap it worked. NO suction-no movement. Just weird. But yes like the straw affect! Really good way of describing the issue.

your collection buckets... are the ends of your lines submerged under sap? if so pull them up so the outlet is in free air. it takes a fair bit of pressure to push air bubbles down below liquid level... this could be restricting your flow.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast