+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3\16 gravity trouble

5 yr old, uncleaned lines are my thought. I got good flow on 3/16 BUT I change every tee and connector in the system every year, plus I flush the lines after every season. Then last year I filled the entire system with calcium hypochlorite and drained it mid fall. Even then every tee and connector was changed. The I.D. of the fittings on 3/16 is so small that it takes almost nothing to plug it.
    In fact even 1 yr old lines would often plug if not cleaned and new fittings. By the way, you should change the fittings after 1 day sap flow, in case anything plugs.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Update, everything is running good. Found a few more leaks and a bad guage . The Lord has tried to teach me patience several times in my life ! Ron

I have two laterals that were my fall taps and I left them in. They ran .6 gallons per tap last night and they were tapped December 16th 2020 ( 10 weeks ). So if you keep them clean, tight and no leaks they will preform.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    5 yr old, uncleaned lines are my thought. I got good flow on 3/16 BUT I change every tee and connector in the system every year, plus I flush the lines after every season. Then last year I filled the entire system with calcium hypochlorite and drained it mid fall. Even then every tee and connector was changed. The I.D. of the fittings on 3/16 is so small that it takes almost nothing to plug it.
    In fact even 1 yr old lines would often plug if not cleaned and new fittings. By the way, you should change the fittings after 1 day sap flow, in case anything plugs.
    Just rereading old threads. What does the last sentence mean? (I highlighted the last sentence)

On a separate note, if sap is coming out the end of the tube reasonably well, do you need to walk the lines and check them? All of my lines have sections of terrain that are challenging to walk, enough now, I guess I was naive to think that they would be relatively maintenance free and that I would not have to walk in those areas too often. Man, this spring is going to be a learning experience.
    Last edited by Swingpure; 10-15-2021 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swingpure View Post
    Just rereading old threads. What does the last sentence mean?

On a separate note, if sap is coming out the end of the tube reasonably well, do you need to walk the lines and check them? All of my lines have sections of terrain that are challenging to walk, enough now, I guess I was naive to think that they would be relatively maintenance free and that I would not have to walk in those areas too often. Man, this spring is going to be a learning experience.

There is no such thing as maintenance free. With 3/16th what you learn is to watch the flow at the bottom of your runs, close to your collection tank. You can pretty well read what is happening right there, with a little experience. You'll learn that when sap is running too fast you have a leak or chew. You will learn really slow or no flow means a plugged fitting. Watch for change and learn what is normal for your lines. It won't be too troublesome once you get it down.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12