+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boil rate

That sounds right, but that means good wood and split small and no messing around. See alot of people figure how much sap they have and sugar % but forget to minus the gallons of syrup they made that day so it slides the numbers alittle. The 30 x 8 was the first evaporator I ran and I would boil all day and half the night for about 15 gallons of syrup. that was when I learned to take sap to Glen Goodrich and trade for supplies because with 500 taps I could not keep up. Then came the 4x12 ,more taps, ro,more taps, trucks, more taps, bigger tanks ect,ect.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps on a drop flue 8-4 split

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatetreehugger View Post
    Fred, I'm wondering where you got your 110 number. I've read and witnessed evaporator get 50 to 70 percent increased productivity with an steam away. Thanks for your help.
    so for more clarity a 3x8 will do 90 per hour 100 with preheat. add a steamaway which will remove the preheater becomes 110 maybe 115.remember we are talking about a smaller rig which is less efficient.
    i had a leader 6x16 which did 450 an hour, with the steam away on it was 600, on a perfect day it would do 700 but maybe twice in a season. when your talking real numbers it went up 150 gallons which is 25% gain. widest and longest will have the most efficiency, we're talking about half that size. when your a salesman your going to give perception of something bigger which is the leader pitch of 40% efficiency not 25% production.

second this is an artificial boil with foreign air. the syrup gets darker because it sits at pre-bacteria killing temps and furiously grows until it gets to the flue pan(steam pan, piggy back alike) to be killed. and due to the bubbler forcing air it constantly mixes instead of naturally moving in progression towards the flues.

if your paying for a steamaway relative to your evaporator the money is better spent with an ro even at 50% reduction. the actual numbers become 100% or double capacity and more than likely any 600gph RO will do 75%+.
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

I know a lot of sugar makers with steamaways and never heard of it darkening syrup. The people that use them always drain them after every boil so therefore the sap passes through it. the ones that have them love them especially the amount of hot water they produce. The steam away should run a temp of 180 deg f which should kill most of the bacteria in the sap. My cousin has one on his 5x14 and he has a hard time making dark. But yes the ro is the best bang for the buck.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps on a drop flue 8-4 split

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12