+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sap Hydrometer

Default Sap Hydrometer

I have a sap hydrometer that has shown itself to be untrustworthy (unless all my sap is actually pure water). I am wondering if I could make up a standardized solution of sugar water and then find the error in the hydrometer reading and use that to correct future sap measurements. I know that 1 brix is 1g sucrose per 100g water. I don't have any precision tools although I could probably access some. Is there an established procedure for this or should I just give up and buy a new hydrometer?
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

Personally, I would get a new hydrometer, then compare the old to the new, and then you can mark where on the old one, certain sugar contents are. Then you have a back-up!
    2017 - 20ish taps on buckets, boiling outside in two baking pans
    2018 - 70+ taps, 14-buckets, 50+ on tubing, homemade arch from oil tank in my barn, 17 gal syrup
    2019 - same set up, 20 gal syrup
    2020 - less taps, short season, but RO kit was fantastic! 6 gal syrup and a maple cat!
    2021/22/23 - expanded into the neighbors yards! 50 taps on buckets and 40 taps on tubing

Quote Originally Posted by therealtreehugger View Post
    Personally, I would get a new hydrometer, then compare the old to the new, and then you can mark where on the old one, certain sugar contents are. Then you have a back-up!
    That makes way more sense than my plan....
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

when you get a new hydrometer immediately before use put a reference mark for the hydrometer scale in the cardboard box.
    This will tell you in the future if the paper scale has slipped inside...and they do!

+ Reply to Thread