+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spring Harvest 2021

how are you still going??? haven't your reds budded yet??? I have reds budding since last friday or saturday and sap was nasty at best and evaporator spoiled and went ropey.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

Sounds like you had quite the day on Monday. That wind was brutal here. I was canning syrup and stepped out back to take a wizz and was thinking about how amazing it was that the pine trees could bend as far as they did without breaking. All of a sudden a big gust came through and snapped both tops out of a big pine that was about 30 feet away. It's not something you see every day and the wind blew it away from the sugar house.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by red maples View Post
    how are you still going??? haven't your reds budded yet??? I have reds budding since last friday or saturday and sap was nasty at best and evaporator spoiled and went ropey.
    If bulk prices were better I'd still be going too but I haven't got the time to make a bunch of off flavor syrup to bring to Bascom's for peanuts.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I don't think so. Sap actually tasted good after Monday's freeze and SSC was 1.2% or better. We have freezes the next few nights, so we'll see what happens.

Yesterday, I hauled in 450 gal and should get the same, or a bit more, this afternoon. I'll boil it tonight and see how the syrup is. I'm not interested in making off flavor syrup, so once that happens, I'm done. The only off flavor I make is what's in the pans when I boil them off.

Monday night, the syrup in the evap. was still good, but I haven't been in there since. Not really a fan of having left it almost a week without boiling, but haven't gotten sap enough since with having tossed Monday's 1400 gal. If I had gotten sap Tuesday, I could've boiled Wednesday.

my front pan was OK too there is enough sugar in it to preserve it, and the back pan seemed fine too but once the heat hit it when I fired it turned to snot. it was the flu pan because its so much thinner. I never had ropey syrup until I got a bad batch of end of season
    sap from a friend a few years ago. ever since I have had issues at the end of the season with a ropey flu pan. I am planning on a complete plumbing overhaul this year and extra sanitizing to see if I can get rid of that bacteria that causes it. I have read a little that once you get it it can stay in your lines forever. It has become an issue in many sugarhouses. Enough that there are studies begining on how to combat the problem and canada has come up with a test to check for ropey syrup and will no accept it past a certain point. It was one of the things they talked about at the international meeting in Concord a couple of years ago. was very interesting.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP

I agree. Bacteria can quickly become rampant, especially at the end of the season. A number of years ago I couldn't believe what was inside the piping. So now the systems have drains and get flushed regularly with permeate and then sanitizer loaded at the end of the season. Have a couple of quick release points so I can actually inspect the interior of the pipes. Also hooked a pressure washer (best tool in the sugarhouse) up to the permeate tanks.
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

yes bruce thats the plan for the new plumbing is more cleanouts and access points so I actually get things taken apart and be able to run a brush through the system and an additional permeate tank with a charcoal filter specifically to remove the bacteria for cleaning and sanitizing. and an additional pump so I can run it through the plumbing. once the RO is disconected.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123