+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First Boil!

Default First Boil!

I’ve been reading this site daily since getting a tapping kit as a Christmas gift. I really appreciate all the expertise shared by this forum, it’s been invaluable in preparing for my first year of syrup production. So thanks for all the advice and experience provided by the backyarders and pros alike!

Tapped late last week in west-central Wisconsin and had a few gallons collected as of this morning. The kids and I were both impatient, and I wanted a test-run of the evaporator before I got flooded with sap. The photo shows the block arch and pans right before the fire was lit. Overall it worked out great, and I think I need to just fill in the back of the arch with sand a bit to really get the back pans rolling.

98BC39C9-1A6E-4E16-BB93-2D87D324CF21.jpg

Nice start DairyVet. Glad to have you aboard. Keep the kids interested and keep it a family affair.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

That's your first time building an arch!!! I am impressed. You are correct if you have the fire closer to the bottom of the pan in the back it will really roll.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Northeast section of Northwest kingdom Vermont

Sweet! I hope to see some syrup shots soon!

Thanks, Dave and Pdiamond! Spent a good chunk of January looking at arches built by others on this site as well as a few on YouTube. Got to see what worked well vs poorly and the research really paid off. The weather forecast for my area looks about perfect this week after today, so I should have a lot more sap to work with next weekend!

Hey DairyVet. Where in WI are you? We boil up in Clark cty at the cabin. Keep the kids involved. Good luck.

That looks awesome DairyVet! I have been boiling on a similar design for quite a few years now and it works well. This is a fun family activity and I am pleased to hear that your kids enjoyed your first boil too! I finish and can my syrup in my kitchen. Have a great season!
    2024 - 16 taps - buckets on our best producing trees, still boiling on a block arch with slight modifications/refinements over the years.
    2021 - 25 taps - all buckets
    2013-2020 - 30/41 taps: discovering which trees were the best producers
    2012 - First year - 21 taps in our backyard - block arch evaporator with 3 steam table pans!

Congratulations on a nice looking arch. The block chimney is particularly interesting.

I have a nearly identical arrangement now going on four years. No complaints at around 6-7 gallons an hour. I'm sure you'll enjoy the product!

One thing my wife and I started doing last year to make finishing easier is only filtering through a thin cloth to remove ash, etc prior to finish boil on the kitchen stove. Once at temperature it goes right to the canning jar-no more filtering. I find a final filter wastes syrup. There is some niter that settles out, but we eat that as well. Still sweet, just a little gritty and it represents a very small volume of the jar. We keep it all for in-house use anyway! Less work and mess.

Good luck!
    Two 2x4 concrete block arches with three steam trays each
    Tapping in Mount Vernon since 2016, 30 to 70 taps, 5/16" tube to 1.5 to 3.5 gallon buckets, some trees on collective gravity tubing to 5 gallon buckets.

Mostly sugar maples, a few reds on 200 year old homestead

Hi mdm1,

I’m west of Black River Falls in Trempealeau county. I spend quite a bit of time in Clark county for work, though, so I’m decently familiar with that part of the state.

Thanks Mvhomesteader, and thanks for the tip. I’ll play around with it a bit this year and see how it goes. Can’t remember where I saw the chimney idea first, but it certainly wasn’t my idea. Much cheaper and simpler than what I’d originally planned!

+ Reply to Thread