+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ISpring 500GPD RO unit....Good to use?

Question ISpring 500GPD RO unit....Good to use?

I have the opportunity to pick up this small commercial RO unit made by ISpring and is rated for 500GPD. I’m new to RO systems and was wondering if this unit can be used? Do I require 3 filters only? This thing has 5 bottles but I think the last one I’ll disconnect as it’s meant for the tap water (I think). I’ve attached a photo of the unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The unit is worth like $800 new and I can get it for $400. I don’t have time to build one. I will be collecting approximately 200G of sap.

DDD20EAB-9245-4C9C-A30C-D8351F66A6B7.jpg
    6308D859-3F27-4648-A5BF-10AFA74EFF6F.jpg

You will need to know what membranes it has, ones for water are not the same ones used for maple. Plus you will need to watch the plumbing, On water RO's they throw out the part we keep.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Yes that I understand...the waste portion of the system is what we keep (sap). As for filters I also understand not to use the charcoal filters and just use 5mic sediment filters only. What I’m unsure of is if I need 3 filters or just 1? Also is there a filter in the large bottle at top (4 filters??)

Hi there...I just checked that Ispring out. For the price, why don’t you buy a RO Bucket? You can get a RB15 or RB20 for the amount of money that you will need to put into that iSpring to get the types of filters you will need. Just a thought. Simple to put together, you just screw it onto a board. Good luck!

You would only want one of those prefilter housings. Having two or even three is just another sediment/sugar trap that stores bacteria and wastes additional prefilters. Even large RO's only use one prefilter housing. The single 500gpd RO membrane would process around 10 gallons of sap per hour from 2-4%. You are essentially buying a single membrane hobby system that would sell for around $300. The iSpring is a common RO unit made in China for domestic water (which is around 60psi), you can recognize they by their typical metal bases with the built in pressure gauge. You really want leak proof housings up to 150psi.

Just to clarify, the unit is $400 CAD not USD. So if I put one 5mic filter and leave the other 2 empty that's all I need to do? What about the bottle that sits on top, is that a different type of filter as well? I'm willing to take my chances on the unit IF it can be used for Sap. RO is all new to me.

I'd recommend getting an RO bucket instead.
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

I’ve decided to either go with the CDL RO or the RO buckets for next year. Thanks everyone

+ Reply to Thread